Dec 3, 2012, 2:15 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
James Shields is 31-22 with a 3.15 ERA over the last two seasons with Tampa Bay.
NASHVILLE, Tenn. — The Winter Meetings officially begin today, but with all the pertinent parties already in place last night the rumor mill started churning out juicy bits of information.
And with the Nationals garnering far more attention than in previous years, what quickly became clear was that Mike Rizzo is considering some very big names to fill the final hole in his starting rotation.
Though Rizzo could stick with the conventional path and sign one of several high-priced free agents on the market, he's also using the trade route to pursue a starter.
And perhaps his best possible trade partner is Rays general manager Andrew Friedman.
The Rays are loaded with pitching, but in their never-ending quest to keep payroll down are willing to listen to offers for their higher-priced starters. Reigning AL Cy Young Award winner David Price would beRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Escobar leaves Nats game with hand injury
- Nats weighing options for starter to replace Scherzer
- Rendon scratched from minor league rehab game
- Marlins DFA former big free agent signing
- Nats hope lineup tweak will spark offense
- Cedeno on the move again, one week after Nats traded him
- State of the Nats: Looking up in the standings
- When will slow-developing bats come around?
- At 7-12, Nationals still searching for answers
- Marlins 6, Nats 2: Another misplay opens the floodgates