Dec 4, 2012, 7:14 PM EDT
USA Today Images
The Nationals still have money to re-sign Adam LaRoche if they want.
NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Dan Haren's $13 million salary — assuming he passes his physical with the Nationals and officially signs — will be the third-largest in team history. Only Jayson Werth ($16.5 million) and Ryan Zimmerman ($14 million) have made more money in a single season than Haren will make in 2013.
And the Haren signing will push the Nationals' payroll to heights it previously has not reached, topping nine figures for the first time.
But that doesn't mean Mike Rizzo doesn't still have money to spend on further bolstering his roster for next season.
Indeed, the Nationals still have the financial wherewithal to add or retain more key pieces, whether in the form of first baseman Adam LaRoche, a veteran reliever or even an emergency starter who could either pitch out of the bullpen or start at Class AAA and be ready toRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Gonzalez makes case for postseason start
- Bryce, Gio continue late-season surge in 6-2 win
- NL Playoff Outlook: What stars will give the Nationals trouble?
- LaRoche gets extra day off to rest ailing back
- Michael Jenkins takes walkoff pie to the face (VIDEO)
- Nats move on to Miami with Gio starting in hometown
- PHOTO: Kevin Durant rocks a Nats jersey
- UPDATE: Nats DFA Perez, claim Twins shortstop
- If healthy, Zimmerman should be in Nats lineup
- Post-clinch, Nationals rookies get chance to shine