Dec 5, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT
USA Today Images
Sean Burnett heads west after 3 1/2 strong seasons with the Nationals.
NASHVILLE, Tenn. — The Nationals resigned themselves earlier this week to the fact they were going to lose Sean Burnett to free agency. In the end, they might have been surprised to learn the price to re-sign the left-hander wasn't terribly steep.
Burnett and the Angels came to terms today on a two-year contract with a club option for 2015, a source familiar with the deal confirmed. Total guaranteed money is $8.5 million, according to the Los Angeles Times.
Burnett had been a mainstay in the Nationals' bullpen over the last 3 1/2 seasons, a durable and often dominant lefty who posted a combined 2.81 ERA and nine saves over 245 appearances since his acquisition from the Pirates in July 2009.
The Nationals, though, never seemed all that keen on giving Burnett, 30, any kind of long-term commitment and declared themselves outRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Monday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Monday's games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
(End of regular season)
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Around the NL East: Big offseasons ahead
- Predicting who makes the Nationals' playoff roster
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff
- Report: Braves likely to make 'significant' changes this winter
- LaRoche: Nats unlikely to bring me back in '15
- PHOTO: Nats get hero's welcome at Dulles on Sunday night
- As October looms, Strasburg and Nats are peaking
- Strasburg solves struggles in Miami, Nats win 2-1