Dec 5, 2012, 11:00 PM EST
USA Today Images
Sean Burnett heads west after 3 1/2 strong seasons with the Nationals.
NASHVILLE, Tenn. — The Nationals resigned themselves earlier this week to the fact they were going to lose Sean Burnett to free agency. In the end, they might have been surprised to learn the price to re-sign the left-hander wasn't terribly steep.
Burnett and the Angels came to terms today on a two-year contract with a club option for 2015, a source familiar with the deal confirmed. Total guaranteed money is $8.5 million, according to the Los Angeles Times.
Burnett had been a mainstay in the Nationals' bullpen over the last 3 1/2 seasons, a durable and often dominant lefty who posted a combined 2.81 ERA and nine saves over 245 appearances since his acquisition from the Pirates in July 2009.
The Nationals, though, never seemed all that keen on giving Burnett, 30, any kind of long-term commitment and declared themselves outRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Kansas City Royals
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Will Michael Taylor become an everyday outfielder?
- Dusty Baker on Nationals: "Why not now, and why not me?"
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Houston Astros
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Tanner Roark bounce back as a starter?
- Craig Stammen signs minor league deal with Cleveland
- Report: Tyler Clippard signs deal with NL West club