Dec 7, 2012, 8:22 PM EDT
USA Today Images
Right-hander Dan Haren dealt with back and hip issues last season with the Angels.
Updated at 5:24 p.m.
Dan Haren had his choice of destinations this winter, with a number of franchises expressing interest in the veteran right-hander.
The Nationals had their choice of free agents, with a number of big-name starters on the open market who could round out their already deep and talented rotation.
In the end, it didn't take long for both the Nationals and Haren to realize they were the best match, resulting in a one-year, $13 million contract that became official today after the 32-year-old passed his physical.
"I did have quite a few other choices," Haren said. "But the Nationals just kind of fit for me."
"He was our primary target, and we … went after him quiteRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- The Baseball Show: Is Denard Span’s Nats career over?
- Nationals let another one slip away
- Heyward's 2B keys rally as Cardinals beat Nationals 8-5
- Nationals open pivotal series in St. Louis
- State of the Nats: Cardinals up next; Werth heating up
- Taylor avoids injury scare, returns to lineup with a bang
- Strasburg leaves Nats win over Marlins with injury
- Nats overcome rough start, win 7-4
- Nats look for fourth consecutive series win vs. Marlins
- Fan dies after fall from upper deck at Atlanta Braves game