Dec 13, 2012, 9:06 PM EDT
Associated Press file photo
The Esmailyn Gonzalez scandal set the Nats international efforts back for years.
Leery of delving into the international market after getting burned by a young shortstop who falsified his name and age in order to secure a $1.4 million signing bonus six years ago, the Nationals have decided to dip their toes back into the Dominican Republic pipeline and have committed a healthy amount of money to sign another teenage infielder.
The Nationals have signed 16-year-old third baseman Neivy Pilier for $225,000, according to a club source, one of the largest bonuses they've paid to an international free agent since that $1.4 million mistake in 2006 to a young Dominican shortstop who claimed to be named Esmailyn Gonzalez.
Pilier, 6-foot-1 and 180 pounds, has "a quick bat with lift and occasional power in his right-handed swing," according to Baseball America. Having just turned 16 on Aug. 1, he has a strong arm to play third base but still needs to refine his footwork.
Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo — who ascended to thatRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Span's season is over, and maybe his Nats career as well
- Nats look to get even against Marlins
- Werth bobblehead release gets pushed back
- Turner looks comfortable in debut at second base
- Month to forget continues for Scherzer, Nats
- Scherzer's struggles continue in Nationals' 4-3 loss to Marlins
- Hip surgery for Span, but Taylor's knee OK
- Game Thread: Nationals open series vs. Marlins
- Desperate Nationals recall OF from AAA Syracuse
- MLB Power Rankings: More movement in AL East