Dec 13, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
USA Today Images
Adam LaRoche has been content to remain unsigned since season's end.
It's been more than six weeks since the Giants won the World Series and Adam LaRoche became a free agent, more than six weeks of the Nationals saying how much they want LaRoche back and of LaRoche saying how much he wants to come back.
So why don't the two sides appear to be any closer to a new contract than they were at season's end? Because LaRoche, plain and simple, doesn't feel like he needs to make the decision quite yet, not until he's convinced every best offer has been presented to him.
And it's entirely possible the best offer has yet to be made … by the Rangers.
All along, the Nationals' biggest competition for LaRoche has probably been Texas, the only other likely suitor who could offer the 33-year-old both a fair contract and a realistic opportunity to obtainRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nats return home to face Wainwright, Cardinals
- MLB Power Rankings: Brewers making noise
- Nationals dominating opponents late in games
- Instant analysis: Nats 6, Marlins 3
- Nationals face dominant Fernandez in series finale
- Nationals Stock Watch: Harper's heating up
- Strasburg’s poor outing continues troubling early season trend
- Strasburg's rough outing (VIDEO)
- Stephen Strasburg surrenders six in loss to Miami
- Braves fan trolls Nats with Wikipedia page entry (PHOTO)