Dec 17, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Drew Storen was brilliant down the stretch last season … until Game 5 of the NLDS.
In the solemn minutes that followed the most crushing defeat he had ever experienced, Drew Storen admitted how difficult the task he now faced would be.
"There's a bad taste in my mouth," the young closer said after blowing the Nationals' two-run, ninth-inning lead in Game 5 of the NLDS against the Cardinals. "That's gonna stay there for a couple of months. And it's probably never going to leave."
It's now been more than two months since that fateful night at Nationals Park, and there are still nearly two months until Storen and his teammates take the practice fields in Viera, Fla., for the start of spring training, about 3 1/2 months until they head north for Opening Day.
So there's still plenty of time for Storen to re-live his nightmare ninth inning, the three hits and two walks he issued, the just-off-the-plate pitches he delivered, any of which might have wrapped up the series for the Nationals instead of moving them a step closer to one of theRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Tuesday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Tuesday's early games
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
(End of regular season)
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals defeat Mets in triumphant return home
- Updated: Span leaves Tuesday's game with injury
- Division champ Nats come home for final week
- Zimmermann may be pushed back a day with bruised shoulder
- Zimmerman sits out vs. Mets after feeling soreness over weekend
- Around the NL East: Big offseasons ahead
- Predicting who makes the Nationals' playoff roster
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff