Dec 20, 2012, 4:20 PM EST
USA Today Sports Images
Tom Gorzelanny was non-tendered by the Nationals last month.
The Brewers have come to terms with Tom Gorzelanny, signing the veteran left-hander to a two-year contract after he wasn't tendered a contract by the Nationals last month.
The deal, reported by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, is still contingent on Gorzelanny passing a physical, which is scheduled to take place Friday. Financial terms aren't yet known, but by signing him through 2014 the Brewers are buying out his first year of free agency. [UPDATE AT 2:30 P.M. — Gorzelanny's deal will total roughly $6 million, according to FoxSports.com.]
Gorzelanny, 30, was an effective long reliever for the Nationals this season, going 4-2 with a 2.88 ERA in 45 appearances (one of them a late-season spot start after the Nats clinched the NL East title).
But with a $3 million salary entering his final season of arbitration, he stood to earn a raise for 2013 and the Nationals didn't believe it was worth it to spend that much money on ostensibly a mop-upRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper shows off Redskins hat en route to Super Bowl
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Gio Gonzalez be more consistent?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Stephen Strasburg's contract year
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- Report: All-Star catcher Lucroy has Nats on no-trade list
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Max Scherzer more important in Year 2
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: An important year for Wilson Ramos