Dec 20, 2012, 9:05 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Edwin Jackson parlayed one season in Washington into a huge deal with Chicago.
Edwin Jackson wanted a long-term contract last winter, one commensurate with those given to some of the better pitchers in baseball. In the end, the well-traveled right-hander settled for a one-year deal with the Nationals, hoping to then parlay that into something much bigger this winter.
That strategy most certainly paid off, because today Jackson and the Cubs came to agreement on a four-year, $52 million contract, according to CSNchicago.com.
The deal is still contingent upon Jackson passing a physical, but once he does he'll be under contract through 2016 earning an average of $13 million per season (18th-most among all major-league pitchers).
The Nationals never showed any serious intention to bring Jackson back after a mostly impressive — if often erratic — season in D.C. Signed on Feb. 2 for $11 million to serve as their No. 4 starter, heRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"
- Are Nationals finally playing to full potential? (VIDEO)
- Mo'ne Davis and company have one more chance
- Young guns bat, slide Nationals to ninth-straight win
- Matt Williams projects when Ryan Zimmerman will return
- Span tabs Nats teammate & rival to do ice bucket challenge
- Williams debates keeping streak alive or long term health
- VIDEO: Bryce Harper's hair is on fire and he plays the ukulele
- Asdrubal Cabrera fitting in with Nats in first few weeks since trade
- Phillies' A.J. Burnett will 'probably' retire after this season