Dec 20, 2012, 9:05 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Edwin Jackson parlayed one season in Washington into a huge deal with Chicago.
Edwin Jackson wanted a long-term contract last winter, one commensurate with those given to some of the better pitchers in baseball. In the end, the well-traveled right-hander settled for a one-year deal with the Nationals, hoping to then parlay that into something much bigger this winter.
That strategy most certainly paid off, because today Jackson and the Cubs came to agreement on a four-year, $52 million contract, according to CSNchicago.com.
The deal is still contingent upon Jackson passing a physical, but once he does he'll be under contract through 2016 earning an average of $13 million per season (18th-most among all major-league pitchers).
The Nationals never showed any serious intention to bring Jackson back after a mostly impressive — if often erratic — season in D.C. Signed on Feb. 2 for $11 million to serve as their No. 4 starter, heRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmermann, Nationals go fishing in Miami
- State of the Nats: Deal or no deal before the MLB trade deadline?
- Consistency propels Nationals to NL's best record
- Nationals hang on to beat Reds 4-2
- Instant analysis: Reds 1, Nationals 0
- Roark, Nats win 4-1, hand Reds seventh-straight loss
- Denard Span leading the way for Nats in July
- Roark, Nats look to bounce back in Game 100 of 2014 season
- The Baseball Show: Should the Nats make a trade? (VIDEO)
- Power Rankings: Which MLB stadium is the best?