Dec 28, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Bryce Harper dazzled at the plate and in the field during his debut weekend in L.A.
As we count down the final days of 2012, we're also counting down the Nationals' five most significant moments of the year. It all culminates on Dec. 31 with your vote for the most significant moment of 2012. Today we focus on Moment No. 4: Bryce Harper's debut…
The Nationals never intended to promote Bryce Harper to the big leagues quite so soon. Sure, they were confident the 19-year-old would make an impact at the highest level of the sport at some point in 2012, but the plan was to hold off a bit longer, perhaps until June or July before summoning the game's top prospect from Class AAA.
But after a spate of early season injuries to, among others, Ryan Zimmerman and Michael Morse, general manager Mike Rizzo felt he had no choice but to promote Harper on April 28 and give the kid a chance to play every day for a team that had already stormed out of the gates to seize first place in the NL East.
"Suffice it to say, this isn't the coming-out party for Bryce that we had in mind," Rizzo said in announcing the roster move one dayRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Marlins get payback, play fart noises during Nats batting practice
- Nats hope to bounce back in Miami with Fister starting
- Nats Stock Watch: Starting pitchers scuffling
- Biggest key to Papelbon trade is Storen
- One MLB columnist expects Lucas Giolito to be dominant in 2020
- Fernandez remains perfect in Miami, Marlins top Nats 4-1
- Tyler Clippard says chasing down the 'beatable' Nats will be 'a lot of fun'
- Nationals acquire Jonathan Papelbon for minor leaguer
- Werth, Zimmerman activated off DL
- Watching baseball with Obama