Dec 28, 2012, 7:29 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Michael Gonzalez posted a 3.03 ERA in 47 games with the Nationals last season.
The Nationals' options for left-handed bullpen help are dwindling after another southpaw from their 2012 staff chose to sign elsewhere.
Veteran Michael Gonzalez has come to terms on a one-year deal with the Brewers, according to FoxSports.com's Ken Rosenthal. He joins Tom Gorzelanny, another member of the Nationals' bullpen who migrated to Milwaukee this winter, and Sean Burnett, who got a two-year deal with the Angels.
Gonzalez had interest in returning to Washington next season, and the Nationals shared that interest, though apparently not enough to complete a deal. CBSsports.com's Scott Miller reported the Brewers offered him $2.25 million.
The 34-year-old posted a 3.03 ERA in 47 games, striking out 39 batters in 35 1/3 innings, and becoming a popular figure in a clubhouse that didn't boast many veteran pitchers.
The defections of Burnett, Gonzalez and Gorzelanny leave the Nationals scrambling a bit to fortify their bullpen with left-handers. At the moment, they have only Zach Duke (re-signed after a strongRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmermann, Nationals go fishing in Miami
- State of the Nats: Deal or no deal before the MLB trade deadline?
- Consistency propels Nationals to NL's best record
- Nationals hang on to beat Reds 4-2
- Instant analysis: Reds 1, Nationals 0
- Roark, Nats win 4-1, hand Reds seventh-straight loss
- Denard Span leading the way for Nats in July
- Roark, Nats look to bounce back in Game 100 of 2014 season
- The Baseball Show: Should the Nats make a trade? (VIDEO)
- Power Rankings: Which MLB stadium is the best?