Dec 31, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Drew Storen and the rest of the Nats dugout were in shock as Game 5 ended.
As we count down the final days of 2012, we've also been counting down the Nationals' five most significant moments of the year. It all culminates today with the most significant moment: The late collapse against the Cardinals in Game 5 of the NLDS, abruptly and painfully ending the season. Do you agree or disagree? Rank your five moments in order of significance in the top right corner of the screen…
OK, it's probably the last local sporting event anyone wants to re-live on the morning after an especially memorable event by another local sports franchise — by the way, who would've guessed that the least surprising D.C. division champion in 2012 would be the Nationals? — but bear with me here as I attempt to spin the most devastating loss of the year into a potentially positive development moving forward.
You already know how Game 5 of the National League Division Series played out. How the home team stormed out to an early 6-0 lead that left Nationals Park bouncing and shaking with anticipation of a celebration at night's end. Then how Gio Gonzalez labored toRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win
- Phillies call up top prospect for September
- Nationals open big series in Los Angeles
- Astros fire manager Bo Porter, who came from Nats
- Nationals promote 6 players in September call-ups
- State of the Nats: Nationals-Dodgers could be playoff preview
- Nats' numbers in August were off the charts
- Three homers not enough in 5-3 Nationals loss to Seattle
- Nationals go for series sweep in Seattle