Jan 3, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Several projections show a drop-off in production from Ian Desmond this year.
Since the calendar has officially turned over and we're trying to stop looking back and start looking forward with more regularity, this seems like a good time to take a gander at a couple of stat projections for the 2013 Nationals.
Two of the more noteworthy folks who produce annual projections are Bill James (the grandfather of sabermetrics) and Dan Szymborski (who created the ZiPS projections that are now featured on Fangraphs.com). Both utilize a player's performance over several past seasons, plus historical trends, to project how his numbers will look the following season.
They're by no means perfect — last winter, James projected Ian Desmond to hit .268 with a .394 slugging percentage; he wound up hitting .292 and slugging .511 — but they're a fun baseline to begin imagining how certain players will face in the upcoming season.
So let's take a look at what James and Szymborski say about
Read more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats and Marlins starters meet in tune-up
- Uggla hoping for starting job, not bench role with Nats
- AL East team scouting Phillies' Jonathan Papelbon
- Report: Nats making lefty relievers available for trade
- Strasburg labors in return from ankle sprain
- Former Nats OF released by Texas Rangers; Ohlendorf to Triple-A
- Nats announce season-opening rotation order
- Zimmerman expects to return in 2-3 days
- Strasburg returns to mound as Nats face Mets
- Storen returns to mound after 2-week absence