Howell headed to Dodgers

Jan 5, 2013, 4:28 AM EDT

USA Today Sports Images
J.P. Howell posted a 3.05 ERA in 55 games with the Rays last season.

The final free agent left-hander on the Nationals' radar is headed elsewhere.

J.P. Howell has come to terms on a one-year, $2.85 million contract with the Dodgers, according to multiple reports, electing to head west instead of coming to a Washington franchise that was interested in acquiring him.

Howell, 29, had become the Nationals' top left-handed target after they lost stalwart Sean Burnett to the Angels last month. Since then, they've also seen free agent Michael Gonzalez and the non-tendered Tom Gorzelanny sign with the Brewers.

With no other lefty relievers on the market that pique their interest, the Nationals face the possibility of entering spring training withoutRead more »

1. c715e5d6-9d22-11e1-a89a-000f20980440 - Jan 7, 2013 at 2:44 AM

Natsfan1a, I think Mark's countdown clock is a little slow. The Nationals' website shows 37 days until pitchers & catchers report. That matches my count . . . and I do have a degree in accounting, FWIW.Now, if I could just origami the next three weeks out of the calendar between now and NatsFest. Do we actually need January?ArVAFan

2. baseballswami - Jan 7, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Can we fast forward??

3. natsfan1a - Jan 7, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Well, he *did* post it before the actual report day was announced, and note that it was an estimate, so I think it's okay. ;-)I'd be willing to skip the remainder of the month, as so far it's featured a sick car, a broken furnace, and leaking water valves on the home front. Of course, I do have that pesky work deadline next week, so maybe wait until after that. c715e5d6-9d22-11e1-a89a-000f20980440 said… Natsfan1a, I think Mark's countdown clock is a little slow. The Nationals' website shows 37 days until pitchers & catchers report. That matches my count . . . and I do have a degree in accounting, FWIW. Now, if I could just origami the next three weeks out of the calendar between now and NatsFest. Do we actually need January? ArVAFan January 06, 2013 9:44 PM