Jan 8, 2013, 5:35 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Adam LaRoche will return to the Nationals for 2013 and 2014.
Updated at 4:20 p.m.
The Nationals' unwillingness to budge on their longstanding, two-year offer to Adam LaRoche paid off in the end. LaRoche today agreed to the deal after failing to find another club willing to give the free agent first baseman the guaranteed, three-year contract he sought all along.
The final contract, which was officially announced by the Nationals late this afternoon, guarantees $24 million. LaRoche will earn salaries of $10 million in 2013 and $12 million in 2014, with a $2 million buyout in 2015 if either side elects not to pick up a $15 million mutual option.
The Nationals had expressed interest from the start in re-signing LaRoche, who led the club with 33 homers and 100 RBI while winning his first career Gold Glove and Silver Slugger awards. And the 33-year-old veteran had said all along he preferred to stay in Washington after playing a vital role in the Nats' first-ever playoff run.
But LaRoche made it clear from the beginning he wanted a three-year contract and was willing to wait it out to secure what he felt was the best offer from any club — the Nationals or otherwise — that also presented an opportunity to compete for a World SeriesRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Rockies, 8:40 p.m.
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants
- Nats fan sports 'Curly W' beard (PHOTO)
- State of the Nats: 9-game road trip begins Monday