Jan 10, 2013, 9:01 PM EDT
Hoping to address their need for pitching depth, the Nationals have signed a pair of hurlers with big-league starting experience to minor-league contracts: right-hander Ross Ohlendorf and left-hander Sean West, according to Baseball America.
Ohlendorf and West have made a combined 95 starts in the major leagues, though with limited success. Each figures to open the season at Class AAA Syracuse and serve as alternatives in case a member of the Nationals’ already-set, big-league rotation suffers an injury.
Ohlendorf, 30, owns a career 18-32 record and 5.10 ERA in 108 games (73 starts) with the Yankees, Pirates and Padres. An 11-game winner with a 3.92 ERA for Pittsburgh in 2009, he has dealt with shoulder trouble in recent years and made only 22 big-league appearances the last two seasons (his ERA skyrocketing to 7.94).
A Princeton graduate with a degree in operations research and financial engineering, the 6-foot-4 Ohlendorf was designated for assignment by the Padres in September and became a free agent after the season.
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants