Jan 10, 2013, 9:01 PM EST
Hoping to address their need for pitching depth, the Nationals have signed a pair of hurlers with big-league starting experience to minor-league contracts: right-hander Ross Ohlendorf and left-hander Sean West, according to Baseball America.
Ohlendorf and West have made a combined 95 starts in the major leagues, though with limited success. Each figures to open the season at Class AAA Syracuse and serve as alternatives in case a member of the Nationals’ already-set, big-league rotation suffers an injury.
Ohlendorf, 30, owns a career 18-32 record and 5.10 ERA in 108 games (73 starts) with the Yankees, Pirates and Padres. An 11-game winner with a 3.92 ERA for Pittsburgh in 2009, he has dealt with shoulder trouble in recent years and made only 22 big-league appearances the last two seasons (his ERA skyrocketing to 7.94).
A Princeton graduate with a degree in operations research and financial engineering, the 6-foot-4 Ohlendorf was designated for assignment by the Padres in September and became a free agent after the season.
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- New MLB commissioner Manfred suggests banning defensive shifts
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- PHOTO: Max Scherzer takes out full-page ad to thank Tigers fans
- Braves claim former Nats prospect off waivers from Yankees
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Anthony Rendon
- Former Nats pitcher Ross Ohlendorf follows Detwiler to Rangers
- PHOTOS: Bryce Harper attends Clippers game, meets Blake Griffin
- Big decisions to make for Nats after Scherzer signing
- Scherzer talked to Fister, Thornton before joining Nationals
- Ichiro Suzuki, former Nats OF Jonny Gomes land in NL East