Jan 10, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Jayson Werth's $16.5 million salary tops the Nationals roster in 2013.
Adam LaRoche's decision to return to the Nationals for the next two years has no shortage of ramifications for the franchise, from the makeup of the starting lineup to the nature of the defensive club that will take the field this season to the sudden lack of a job for Michael Morse.
Here's another ramification of LaRoche's now-completed contract: The Nationals' payroll is all but guaranteed to surpass the $100 million mark this season for the first time in franchise history.
This is no insignificant development. The Nationals have never ranked among the top-10 Opening Day payrolls in the major leagues, but they likely will crack that list in 2013 thanks to the return of LaRoche, the addition of right-hander Dan Haren and (most importantly) the escalating salaries of a bunch of young players who have now reached the arbitration stage of theirRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Nats at Phillies, 7:15 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Phillies, 1:35 p.m.
MON: All-Star break
TUE: All-Star Game at Minneapolis, 8 p.m.
WED: All-Star break
THU: All-Star break
FRI: Brewers at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats lose Zimmermann, fall to Phillies 6-2
- Zimmermann hopeful biceps cramp isn't serious
- Ian Desmond out but expects to return Saturday
- The Baseball Show: Analyzing the Nationals' first half
- Podcast: 'Baseball in the District' - CSNbaltimore's Rich Dubroff
- X-rays negative on Desmond's hand after shortstop left game
- Nats, Orioles see promise in Beltway Series ahead of Aug. 4 rematch
- Instant Analysis: Orioles 4, Nats 3
- Do the Nationals have a pitching ace? (VIDEO)
- Who is the most underrated Nationals player? (VIDEO)