Jan 15, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Tyler Moore likely will be the top right-handed bat off the Nationals' bench.
It's one thing for a ballclub's lineup or rotation to be set one month before pitchers and catchers even report for spring training. It's quite another for a ballclub's bench to be all but locked up in mid-January.
But a quick glance at the Nationals' roster confirms it: Davey Johnson almost certainly already knows who will be part of his five-man bench come Opening Day.
Injuries, of course, can always throw the best-laid plans out of whack. But let's assume for the sake of argument the Nationals' stable of position players emerges healthy from spring training. Under that assumption — plus the assumption Michael Morse is traded at some point — it's clear which five players will come off the bench:
– Chad Tracy
– Steve Lombardozzi
– Roger BernadinaRead more »
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Bryce Harper repping new eye black company
- Gonzalez faces Astros under the lights in Viera
- Should Desmond be the Nationals' No. 2 hitter?
- Strasburg settles down, Nats rout Cardinals 11-1
- Strasburg leads Nationals against Cardinals
- Skole among first round of cuts at Nats camp
- Rosenthal pain-free, Wacha pitches well for Cards
- Zimmerman, LaRoche homers lift Nationals over Atlanta
- Nationals split-squads face Braves, Cardinals
- Roark makes emergency start vs. Astros