Jan 16, 2013, 5:32 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Jesus Flores hit .241 with 23 homers in 311 games with the Nationals from 2007-12.
Jesus Flores, cut loose by the Nationals in November, has found a new home in Los Angeles.
The Dodgers have signed the 28-year-old catcher to a minor-league contract with an invitation to big-league spring training, according to multiple reports.
Once considered the Nationals’ long-term answer behind the plate, Flores saw his promising career in D.C. get derailed by a major shoulder injury that sidelined him most of 2009 and all of 2010. Finally healthy again lat season, he got a chance to re-assume everyday catching duties after starter Wilson Ramos suffered a torn ACL but struggled to produce while dealing with the heavy workload, hitting .213 with a .248 on-base percentage in 83 games.
The midseason acquisition of veteran Kurt Suzuki forced Flores back to the bench, where he remained through the playoffs. The
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies
- LaRoche gets rare night off with tight back
- Gonzalez faces Hamels in showdown of southpaws
- Nats' Triple-A affiliate Syracuse raking in postseason awards
- A primer on postseason roster eligibility rules
- Around the NL East: Stanton making strong push for NL MVP
- Nationals can't pull off dramatic rally this time
- Nats' momentum stalls vs. Phillies in first game of long road trip
- Cabrera out of lineup, but not seriously injured