Jan 17, 2013, 4:03 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Joe Torre’s World Baseball Classic club won’t feature any Nationals.
They may have a roster loaded with All-Stars, but the Nationals won’t have anyone representing Team USA in this spring’s World Baseball Classic.
Manager Joe Torre announced his 28-man provisional roster this morning, and in a fairly surprising development, zero members of the Nationals were on the list.
The roster was assembled by Torre and his coaching staff, though major-league clubs do have the ability to discourage some players from participating due to injury concerns. The players themselves also have the right to decline an invitation for any reason.
It was previously known Bryce Harper would not play in the event, which will be held in March and require players to leave their spring training camps for as many as three weeks. And it seemed a safe
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Back-to-back struggles by Fister surprise Nats
- Phillies sweep red-hot Nationals
- LIVE THREAD: Nationals, Fister face Phillies on the road
- LaRoche confident back issue won't linger
- Can Doug Fister prevent Phillies from sweeping Nationals?
- The Nationals offense gets significantly quieter after blowout wins
- Gonzalez sees progress in latest start for Nats
- Nationals Stock Watch: Cabrera looking like a smart acquisition
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies