Jan 17, 2013, 4:03 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Joe Torre’s World Baseball Classic club won’t feature any Nationals.
They may have a roster loaded with All-Stars, but the Nationals won’t have anyone representing Team USA in this spring’s World Baseball Classic.
Manager Joe Torre announced his 28-man provisional roster this morning, and in a fairly surprising development, zero members of the Nationals were on the list.
The roster was assembled by Torre and his coaching staff, though major-league clubs do have the ability to discourage some players from participating due to injury concerns. The players themselves also have the right to decline an invitation for any reason.
It was previously known Bryce Harper would not play in the event, which will be held in March and require players to leave their spring training camps for as many as three weeks. And it seemed a safe
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Embattled Desmond: "I'm gonna get through it"
- Span likely to make season debut Sunday
- Phillies 5, Nats 3: Desmond's woes open door for Phillies
- Nats waiting for MRI on Escobar's groin strain
- Zimmermann tries to lead Nats to 4th straight W
- Impressive Scherzer giving Nats lots of innings
- Nats 7, Phillies 2: Harper homers, Scherzer cruises
- Escobar leaves Nats game with strained groin
- Stammen on season-ending surgery: "Bring it on"
- Marlins catcher not happy after getting benched: 'Yeah I’m mad'