Jan 18, 2013, 5:19 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Ross Detwiler agreed to a one-year, $2.3375 million contract.
Updated at 4:03 p.m.
It's deadline day for all arbitration-eligible players to either come to terms on 2013 contracts with their clubs or else submit competing offers to Major League Baseball in advance of hearings next month.
Which isn't to say this is a hard-and-fast deadline, because the two sides are still allowed to negotiate with each other before those hearings ever take place. But there will some significant motivation to get deals done today and avoid the whole, messy arbitration process altogether.
The Nationals have seven arbitration-eligible players this season: Drew Storen (who signed a $2.5 million contract with incentives last night), Ross Detwiler, Jordan Zimmermann, Ian Desmond, Tyler Clippard, Craig Stammen and Roger Bernadina.
Detwiler became the first member of the group to sign today, agreeing to a one-year, $2.3375 million contract that also includes incentives, according to his agency (CAA, which also representsRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Matt Williams quotes Robert Frost in postgame speech (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Nats celebrate NL East title with loud music, lots of beer
- Nationals players react to winning NL East on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper wears custom firefighters helmet to celebrate
- Nationals clinch NL East with victory in Atlanta
- How did Zimmerman fare in first game action in Viera?
- Nationals play for NL East title tonight in Atlanta
- Has Strasburg earned Game 1 start in playoffs?
- Around the NL East: Braves on the verge of elimination
- After nailbiter, Nationals on the cusp of a clinch