Jan 18, 2013, 5:19 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Ross Detwiler agreed to a one-year, $2.3375 million contract.
Updated at 4:03 p.m.
It's deadline day for all arbitration-eligible players to either come to terms on 2013 contracts with their clubs or else submit competing offers to Major League Baseball in advance of hearings next month.
Which isn't to say this is a hard-and-fast deadline, because the two sides are still allowed to negotiate with each other before those hearings ever take place. But there will some significant motivation to get deals done today and avoid the whole, messy arbitration process altogether.
The Nationals have seven arbitration-eligible players this season: Drew Storen (who signed a $2.5 million contract with incentives last night), Ross Detwiler, Jordan Zimmermann, Ian Desmond, Tyler Clippard, Craig Stammen and Roger Bernadina.
Detwiler became the first member of the group to sign today, agreeing to a one-year, $2.3375 million contract that also includes incentives, according to his agency (CAA, which also representsRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Diamondbacks at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Instant analysis: Nationals 8, Diamondbacks 1
- Gonzalez on the Nats' rotation: 'I want to catch up' (VIDEO)
- Nats' McLouth to have shoulder surgery, out for season
- LaRoche, Desmond and Fister take on the ice bucket (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Nationals go for eighth straight win against Arizona
- State of the Nationals' bullpen: Exhausted
- Around the NL East: Are the Marlins legit contenders?
- LaRoche finally gets to savor first walk-off homer
- Nats beat Diamondbacks in third straight walk-off win
- Nationals keep streak alive vs. D-backs