Jan 18, 2013, 2:46 AM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Drew Storen will make at least $2.5 million this season.
The Nationals and Drew Storen came to terms tonight on a one-year, $2.5 million contract, avoiding what could have been a messy arbitration hearing.
The deal, which was announced by Storen's representatives at CAA, also includes up to $1 million in performance bonuses, all of them related to how many games he finishes this season.
That number figures to be much lower now than it would have been a few days ago, before the Nationals made the surprising move to sign veteran closer Rafael Soriano for a near-record $28 million over two years. With Soriano assured of the primary closer's role, according to general manager Mike Rizzo, Storen will miss out on dozens of opportunities to pitch the ninth inning.
Even with Soriano in the fold, though, Storen should get some opportunities to close, or to finish games that aren't saveRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Fister faces Kershaw in marquee matchup
- Former Nats slugger Dunn to retire; will he finally make playoffs?
- Bovada sportsbook favors Dodgers over Nats for World Series
- Braves will start construction of new Cobb County stadium soon
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Around the NL East: Braves still alive for playoff berth
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win
- Phillies call up top prospect for September
- Nationals open big series in Los Angeles