Jan 22, 2013, 6:12 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Jordan Zimmermann is under the Nationals' control through 2015.
The Nationals have shown a willingness in the past to lock up core players well before they're eligible for free agency. Ryan Zimmerman had all of his arbitration years and two free agency years bought out way back in 2009. Gio Gonzalez, likewise, had all of his arbitration years and two free agency years bought out last winter upon his acquisition.
So, who's next on the list? The two obvious candidates are Jordan Zimmermann and Ian Desmond.
Both players are home-grown and have firmly established themselves as key pieces to the Nationals' long-term puzzle. Both are eligible for arbitration for the next three seasons before they can become free agents at the end of 2015. And general manager Mike Rizzo has broached the subject of a long-term extension with both players over the last 12 months, though no significant progress has yet been made.
Obviously, there are compelling reasons for the Nationals to lock both guys up. With Stephen Strasburg and Gio Gonzalez alreadyRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Embattled Desmond: "I'm gonna get through it"
- Span likely to make season debut Sunday
- Phillies 5, Nats 3: Desmond's woes open door for Phillies
- Nats waiting for MRI on Escobar's groin strain
- Zimmermann tries to lead Nats to 4th straight W
- Impressive Scherzer giving Nats lots of innings
- Nats 7, Phillies 2: Harper homers, Scherzer cruises
- Escobar leaves Nats game with strained groin
- Stammen on season-ending surgery: "Bring it on"
- Marlins catcher not happy after getting benched: 'Yeah I’m mad'