Jan 26, 2013, 9:46 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Danny Espinosa played the second half of last season with left shoulder pain.
Nationals second baseman Danny Espinosa revealed today he played the final month of last season with a torn left rotator cuff and that he’ll attempt to play through this season without repairing the tear through surgery.
Espinosa, who played through pain in his non-throwing shoulder during September and during the playoffs in October, didn’t learn of the tear until two weeks after season’s end, after an enhanced MRI performed by Southern California orthopedist Lewis Yocum revealed it.
Surgery would completely repair the tear but would sideline Espinosa for at least the season’s first two months, so the consensus opinion was to build up the muscles around the cuff and attempt to play without causing any further damage.
“It’s already torn,” Espinosa said. “So as long as I just keep up with my maintenance on my other muscles around the shoulder, I should
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Sunday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Sunday's early games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Braves likely to make 'significant' changes this winter
- LaRoche: Nats unlikely to bring me back in '15
- PHOTO: Nats get hero's welcome at Dulles on Sunday night
- As October looms, Strasburg and Nats are peaking
- Strasburg solves struggles in Miami, Nats win 2-1
- Barrett's role expanding with September surge
- Strasburg starts, but several regulars sit today
- As Nats hold breath, Zimmerman passes test
- Nationals win in Zimmerman's return
- Zimmerman begins race to get ready for October