Jan 26, 2013, 9:46 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Danny Espinosa played the second half of last season with left shoulder pain.
Nationals second baseman Danny Espinosa revealed today he played the final month of last season with a torn left rotator cuff and that he’ll attempt to play through this season without repairing the tear through surgery.
Espinosa, who played through pain in his non-throwing shoulder during September and during the playoffs in October, didn’t learn of the tear until two weeks after season’s end, after an enhanced MRI performed by Southern California orthopedist Lewis Yocum revealed it.
Surgery would completely repair the tear but would sideline Espinosa for at least the season’s first two months, so the consensus opinion was to build up the muscles around the cuff and attempt to play without causing any further damage.
“It’s already torn,” Espinosa said. “So as long as I just keep up with my maintenance on my other muscles around the shoulder, I should
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Tuesday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Tuesday's early games
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
(End of regular season)
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals return home for 4-2 over Mets
- Span leaves Tuesday's game with possible injury
- Division champ Nats come home for final week
- Zimmermann may be pushed back a day with bruised shoulder
- Zimmerman sits out vs. Mets after feeling soreness over weekend
- Around the NL East: Big offseasons ahead
- Predicting who makes the Nationals' playoff roster
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff