Jan 27, 2013, 5:21 PM EST
|Photo by USA Today Sports Images|
For Denard Span, getting traded to the Washington Nationals was quite the coincidence, perhaps an act of fate. He was returning to the city he was born in, but a town he had spent little time in since. He needed to get in touch with his roots and learn about his birthplace.
Luckily for Span, his new employer was a professional baseball team and could provide him the grandest of tours. Span saw a Wizards game, took a White House tour, saw Union Station and Georgetown, and even ate at Ben’s Chili Bowl. He feels like he has a pretty good feel for the city and, after NatsFest on Saturday, his new fans as well.
“I’m in the nation’s capital man, that’s awesome,” he said. “I never thought I would be coming back here to play after being born here.”
“It seems like the fans are already greeting me with love even though they haven’t seen me play yet, definitely getting me excited to go down there to Spring Training.”
Span is still getting used to being on a new team after being in the Minnesota Twins’ organization since being drafted in 2002. He met many of his teammates for the first time on Saturday after talking to a few only by text message.
“It’s just a new start for me and I’m excited for it. It’s been a whirlwind this offseason for me with getting traded but honestly I’m ready for this new chapter in my life.”
Despite switching teams, Span will be able to keep his number ‘2’ that he wore with the Twins. Outfielder Roger Bernadina was already planning to change his jersey to ‘33’ so Span didn’t have to do any convincing. Sometimes players have to sweeten the pot with gifts or a Rolex watch for instance.
Read more »
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day
- Souza's name crops up in complex trade talks
- Clippard: 'I hope we all stay together for at least one more shot'
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo explains trading Detwiler; talks prospects
- Nats announce date pitchers and catchers will report to Viera
- Nationals react to Detwiler and LaRoche leaving this offseason
- Ian Desmond goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at Nats Fest
- Zuckerman on the Nats and Bryce Harper's contract settlement