Jan 27, 2013, 12:23 AM EST
When the Washington Nationals agreed to terms with one of the top prizes of the MLB offseason, signing closer Rafael Soriano to a two-year deal, it caught nearly everyone in the baseball world by surprise. It wasn’t rumored, the team already had a guy who saved 43 games in 2011 and another who saved 32 in 2012, it seemed to come out of nowhere.
Imagine being Drew Storen.
The young reliever the Nats picked 10th overall in 2009 to be the closer of the future all of a sudden had his job threatened, or perhaps even taken away, and how did he find out? By Twitter.
Storen saw the news online and immediately called his good friend and roommate, Tyler Clippard, who happens to be the other closer the team already had in the fold.
“I just saw it on Twitter and I called him and I said, ‘have you seen this?’ We were like, ‘what?’”
The conversation was short and speculative as neither player really had a lot of information about the signing, they knew as much as anyone else. But through talking it out, both Storen and Clippard found a way it can be good for the team and eventually positive for them individually as well.
“It kind of caught me of guard, but there is no doubt that he is going to make the team better, you can’t argue with that,” Storen said.
Read more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day