Jan 27, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Jordan Zimmermann went 12-8 with a career-best 2.94 ERA last season.
Though both sides reiterated interest in a long-term extension, both Jordan Zimmermann and Mike Rizzo made it clear yesterday they won't engage in serious talks over a deal like that until they first settle the dispute over the right-hander's 2013 salary.
Zimmermann was the only one of the Nationals' seven arbitration-eligible players who didn't agree to terms with the club a contract prior to the January 18 deadline to exchange arbitration figures. The 26-year-old hurler is seeking a salary of $5.8 million; the Nats countered with an offer of $4.6 million.
The two sides can continue to negotiate a compromise before the arbitration hearing takes place in early-February, but there remain sticking points.
"We're kind of hung up right now," Zimmermann said. "We'll see what happens. We definitely want to get this deal done and moveRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats blast King Felix, open series vs. Mariners with win
- Zimmermann, Nats get huge test with King Felix out in Seattle
- Nats extend contract with Single-A Hagerstown
- The Baseball Show: Williams for Manager of the Year?
- MLB Power Rankings: L.A. Angels flying high
- Mariners will have familiar face as manager vs. Nats this weekend
- Nats extend deal with Auburn Doubledays of NYP League
- Baseball in the District - MLB radio's Casey Stern & Todd Dybas
- Reason to worry about Nats after 3-game sweep?
- Back-to-back struggles by Fister surprise Nats