Feb 6, 2013, 5:01 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Micah Owings has a 4.86 ERA, but he also boasts a career .283 batting average.
Mike Rizzo drafted Micah Owings in 2005 as one of the top pitching prospects in the country out of Tulane University. Owings, though, always possessed strong offensive skills, so after his pitching career stalled out he decided to make another run at it as a first baseman.
And the man who will give him an opportunity to complete that transformation is none other than Rizzo.
The Nationals have signed Owings to a minor-league contract, with an invitation to big-league camp. His odds of making the Opening Day roster appear slim at best, but if Owings is willing to go to Class AAA Syracuse and prove he can consistently hit as a regular position player, he could find his way back to D.C. at some point.
Owings, 30, was drafted by Rizzo in 2005 when the latter was scouting director for the Diamondbacks. He debuted two years later and over six seasons with Arizona, Cincinnati and San Diego went
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Back-to-back struggles by Fister surprise Nats
- Phillies sweep red-hot Nationals
- LIVE THREAD: Nationals, Fister face Phillies on the road
- LaRoche confident back issue won't linger
- Can Doug Fister prevent Phillies from sweeping Nationals?
- The Nationals offense gets significantly quieter after blowout wins
- Gonzalez sees progress in latest start for Nats
- Nationals Stock Watch: Cabrera looking like a smart acquisition
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies