Spring storylines: Revamped bullpen

Feb 7, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT

USA Today Sports Images
Drew Storen will have to pitch in a setup role for new closer Rafael Soriano.

As the final countdown to spring training arrives, we're counting down the five biggest storylines facing the Nationals in Viera. We start today with spring storyline No. 5: The new-look bullpen…

The Nationals had one of baseball's best bullpens last season, a deep, talented and balanced group that featured two capable closers, one of the best left-handers in the game, a couple up-and-coming right-handers, a veteran lefty and a reliable long man. And general manager Mike Rizzo had the ability to keep that entire unit intact, if he was willing to spend the money necessary to retain everyone.

Rizzo, though, didn't feel like his three lefties (Sean Burnett, Michael Gonzalez and Tom Gorzelanny) were worth the contracts each stood to receive either via free agency or arbitration. So all three were left to sign elsewhere, creating an obvious dearth of southpaws in this team's bullpen.

Rizzo did make overtures to a few other available left-handers on the market, most notably J.P. Howell, but in the end decided none were worth it and so instead spent his money on the one thing theRead more ยป

1. Unknown - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:28 PM

If this pen reduces clips innings then yeah. But they will need a lefty specialist against the togh lefty hitters in the NL east like freeman, Howard, Heyward, Davis, Utley, McCann, Stanton, etc. Nats better hope bray works or hey will have to get a Loogie at the deadline.

2. sm13 - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:32 PM

This story is a good bookend to the issue of whether Nats starters will go deeper into games. A bullen this deep gives Davey the freedom to go get his starters at virtually any time with the confidence that his bullpen can finish out the game. When you look at it, we have two closers — Soriano and Storen –, three eighth inning guys — Storen, Clippard, and Mattheus –, three seventh inning guys — Clippard, Mattheus, and Stammen — , plus Duke, Bray, and Garcia (or, Henry). The ability to play mix and match with this group is limitless. Few managers have this sort of luxury. It will make decisions about pulling a starter that much easier, as he won't have to use the same relievers game in and game out.

3. DaveB - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:42 PM

So … Soriano as the closer; Storen/Clippard as the A/B 8th inning guys; Mattheus/Stammen as the A/B 7th inning; Duke as long reliever; HRod or Bray or Garcia as the addl "as needed" plug in?

4. NatsJack in Florida - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:47 PM

When did Stanton start batting left handed?

5. Rabbit34 - Feb 7, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Njack….On January 17 he switched.

6. DaveB - Feb 7, 2013 at 1:28 PM

7. Joe Seamhead - Feb 7, 2013 at 2:27 PM

They should make him bat LH just to even the playing field. The guy is a beast!Seriously, I overall like this pen. My biggest question mark is actually the one accepted LH reliever, that being Zack Duke. I just see Zack as a guy that will get crushed his second time through a quality ML batting order.I sure hope I'm wrong because they have pretty much anointed him as the long relief guy.

8. JD - Feb 7, 2013 at 2:42 PM

I think Storen will close some. I think Davie likes to use 2 bullpen 'teams'. I don't think it's critical to have a LOOGY when most of the relievers have strong results against lefties.

9. 3on2out - Feb 7, 2013 at 2:45 PM

sm13:I think you nailed it. I was trying to make this point yesterday about Davey's ability to mix and match. He can use his bench to pinch hit when the time is right and not factor in pulling the starter. With this bullpen there is no reason to extend them. As soon as there is a hint of a struggle…3rd time thru the order? Why bother? He has an absolute kick-ass bullpen…any one of the many pieces can shut the door. Davey doesn't give the tiniest of damns about getting his starters complete games. As a matter of fact, average innings per start may increase very little. Keep those arrows in the quiver…innings not pitched in June may be of some utility in October!

10. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Feb 7, 2013 at 2:51 PM

"Clippard said "If we're sitting here on November 1st with the trophy for the World Series, then no one is going to be complaining about anything.'"Obviously, he doesn't read the comments. Or does he mean "This had better work."?

11. Ghost Of Steve M. - Feb 7, 2013 at 2:53 PM

DaveB said… Rabbit … Actually I think it was Novemeber 19th when the trade with Toronto turned his world upside down. February 07, 2013 8:28 AM Good one!

12. SCNatsFan - Feb 7, 2013 at 2:58 PM

It will be cool that, if need be in the sixth inning, we can bring a closer in… and still have two left for later in the game.Checked all the spelling on this too.

13. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Feb 7, 2013 at 3:05 PM

I'm guessing that if Henry isn't PFB this spring, he's gone, so in the alternative, if he does make the roster, if the bone chips really were the only problem, then you have four closers, Mattheus, Stammen, and a long lefty Duke. That would be PFB.

14. Ghost Of Steve M. - Feb 7, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Sec3, Henry will be PFB like he was last Spring Training. His problem is when game pressure is added he starts unraveling like a cheap suit.I think Henry makes the Opening Day roster unless Rizzo signs Vazquez.

15. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Feb 7, 2013 at 3:25 PM

from the last thread: "Aces had most clients in Mitchell Report, now most in Biogenesis"The Commissioner's office doesn't have any authority over agents, I think, and probably not much leverage beyond hounding (or should I say bird-dogging?) their client players.

16. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Feb 7, 2013 at 3:31 PM

"[Henry's] problem is when game pressure is added he starts unraveling like a cheap suit."Which is a problem with confidence and/or focus. Here's hoping he can find both, for everybody's sake but the hitters'.

17. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Feb 7, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Unless it's genetic, in which case he probably won't.

18. JaneB - Feb 7, 2013 at 3:38 PM

I really, really hope Henry is PFB this spring and beyond. It would be so good for all of us if somehow the surgery took away all the bad joojoo along with the bone spurs so he can be the GOOD scary pitcher he has sometimes shown himself to be. But the best 25 go north, and if he can't be PFB by then, then I'm not scared to see him in some one else's bull pen. Though, I guess I wold be scared for the various body parts of our guys standing in the batters box.

19. Ghost Of Steve M. - Feb 7, 2013 at 3:49 PM

I see the biggest MLB story other than Biogenesis as Bourn and Lohse are unsigned as of February 1st.I still think Bourn goes to Texas and they are just waiting Boras out.Lohse has nowhere to go.

20. Tcostant - Feb 7, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Ironicly he could have all three (Sean Burnett, Michael Gonzalez and Tom Gorzelanny) for what he'll pay Soriano for one year. I'm not sure that is better, so my only conclussions is that Rizzo was down Storen, big time, as a closer.

21. Theophilus T. S. - Feb 7, 2013 at 4:04 PM

" Which is a problem with confidence and/or focus. Here's hoping he [Rodriguez] can find both, for everybody's sake but the hitters."The most serious bone chips were, and remain, in his head.

22. NCNatsie - Feb 7, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Tcos: True, but he wouldn't have had roster spots for all of themTheo: It's possible the chips in the elbow were causing, or at least contributing to, the head problems. I sure would lose confidence on the mound if my pitching arm hurt like hell every time I threw, wouldn't you?

23. Tcostant - Feb 7, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Some randowm thoughts on other stuff:- Bourn is almost a done deal to the Mets; they have offered 3 years and may do a 4th just to get the deal done. Not may other options.- Just a guess here, by 1 year for Lohse with the Cards.- My hope for Gio, if he his guilty (I think he is), he should show up at Spring training, say he made a horriable mistake and tell the fans how sorry he is and that it will never happen again. Serve his 50 games and be loved again.

24. Theophilus T. S. - Feb 7, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Lohse's most serious problem is that no one thinks he's safe for more than a two-year deal, and two years of his services do not outweigh the loss of the draft pick. If teams saw Lohse as a three- or four-year contributor, the calculus might change. Even if by waiting Boras out a team was able to squeeze Lohse down to one year at the major league minimum (highly improbable), they'd never recoup the lost signing pool money, let alone the pick, no matter how much money they save by signing him at a bargain basement price. We could be looking at a situation where no one signs Lohse until a quasi contender decides in the middle of the summer that signing him guarantees they make the playoffs. Under the CBA, does there ever come a time (next year?) at which Lohse no longer costs a pick? Or is he going to be compelled to crawl back to the Cardinals and offer to work for peanuts?

25. Theophilus T. S. - Feb 7, 2013 at 4:19 PM

NCNatsie — People have got to stop making excuses for Rodriguez, just like Rizzo has got to stop screwing up the roster just because he loves the "potential" and doesn't want to fess up to a mistake. Rodriguez has been a head case ever since he got here. And, as evidenced by the way Oakland burned up his options, he was a headcase there as well. He couldn't pitch well enough to stay in the big leagues there, either, healthy elbow or not. Oakland might not have gotten much (one year of Willingham) in exchange but fleecing Rizzo by sticking him with the As headcase is an exploit Beane will be telling his cronies in the nursing home long into his dotage.

26. Tcostant - Feb 7, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Theo I don't see a free agent waiting until a later date address at all. I would think that once the draft took place a pick would no longer apply; but I don't see that anywhere:http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/downloads/2011_CBA.pdf

27. UnkyD - Feb 7, 2013 at 4:26 PM

I'm totally in the tank for PFBRod…

28. SCNatsFan - Feb 7, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Theo I disagree; although he appears to be a head case moving Willingham for HRod wasn't getting fleeced, it was trading a player who wasn't really going to be useful to the Nats (at that point they were going nowhere) for a potential great arm. I'm sure Rizzo was thinking this guy might turn out like Ryan when he got his act together. I'm not down on Rizzo for getting him, I'm down on him for sticking with him.

29. upperdeck4 - Feb 7, 2013 at 4:49 PM

I'm pollyanish, I know, but I still have faith in Henry. I still cannot forget his performance in the last home game of 2011 against Atl. That inning was the most devastating performance by a reliever that I have seen. Just keep that game in your head Henry.

30. upperdeck4 - Feb 7, 2013 at 4:50 PM

31. sjm308 - Feb 7, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Willingham has stayed around longer than I thought he would and he was a good teammate but not only was he NOT the kind of player Rizzo wanted to build around, he kept Morse from playing as well. Riggleman was never going to give Morse a sniff with a veteran like Willingham here. The fact that Rizzo gambled on HRod can be debated but moving Willingham was a good move for many reasons.Personally, I am not as far gone as Unkyd but I do hope HRod can turn it around just because it would help our lads in their march toward the WS.Go Nats!!

32. Ghost Of Steve M. - Feb 7, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Theo is right, its the bone chip in his head and its fixable if he has sought help for it but if he hasn't, I don't see improvement. I hope he has fixed the issue. Pressure related issues in sports has ended many careers before.This is Henry's last chance I believe. Hiding him with DL stints can only carry you so far.

33. NatsJack in Florida - Feb 7, 2013 at 5:10 PM

34. JD - Feb 7, 2013 at 5:10 PM

I don't see how Henry makes the team. Even if we don't need a LOOGY I still feel that Bray has a leg up for the last spot.

35. JD - Feb 7, 2013 at 5:12 PM

NatsJack, Didn't he have his TJ surgery in August? That would be an awfully quick recovery. I didn't expect him back until around August if at all this year.

36. Ghost Of Steve M. - Feb 7, 2013 at 5:14 PM

JD, I just don't see Rizzo DFA'ing him. If he can't trade him, I think he makes the team because he has Bray on a MiLB deal.I think the leash is short on Henry and Bray becomes the heir apparent.

37. Theophilus T. S. - Feb 7, 2013 at 5:16 PM

"the bone chip in his head [is] . . . fixable if he has sought help for it . . .."This is at least his sixth trip through the major leagues and every year there've been pitching coaches, veteran pitchers, catchers, interpreters and professional amateur psychologists like Johnson who've been trying to, or at least available to, fix whatever malady afflicts him. Probably professional psychologists, too.When I say a headcase, I don't know if, necessarily, a particular neurosis or pathology is impairing his performance. It is clear, however, that he is resistant to being taught how pitch. It may be as simple as "one finger, fastball; two fingers, slider; three fingers, change" exhausts his ability to process information. Whatever it is, he's got to go. The idea of a "good Henry" is as mythical as a unicorn.

38. Theophilus T. S. - Feb 7, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Think how you would feel if you were Bill Bray and someone told you your spot on the roster was subordinate to management's continued tolerance of a player whose idea of pitching is playing handball with the backstop.

39. Ghost Of Steve M. - Feb 7, 2013 at 5:22 PM

NatsJack in Florida said… Earlier I tweeted that Lucas Giolito was throwing off a mound. My bad. His exact quote was "I'm good to go and ready to throw off a mound".I did not ask him if he had thrown off one yet but it sure sounds like he's close if he hasn't.February 07, 2013 12:10 PM He's on a soft toss program right now and on the JZim/Stras protocol which means mid-July for him to head to A ball.

40. NatsJack in Florida - Feb 7, 2013 at 5:24 PM

He's been rehabbing for almost 2 months already. and has been soft tossing. I posted a pic on twitter of him showing the scar.

41. Theophilus T. S. - Feb 7, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Would be nice to be able to focus on Giolito's progress rather than agonize/fantasize about Rodriguez. Contra the case w/ Strasburg the "mainstream media" aren't doing much of a job of following him even tho I think he's almost as important to the future of the franchise.

42. Theophilus T. S. - Feb 7, 2013 at 5:40 PM

GhostSM — by "A ball" do you mean Potomac or Hagerstown? Potomac seems a bit advanced for someone coming off surgery. Where do people expect Jordan to start this year?

43. NatsJack in Florida - Feb 7, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Lucas will most likely throw some rehab starts in the GCL if they are still in session when he's ready. Then maybe a start or 2 at the end of Hagerstowns season.

44. SCNatsFan - Feb 7, 2013 at 6:01 PM

I don't think it matters much with HRod – Rizzo and Johnson know we are too close to be giving a roster spot away with so few spots available. If HRod can pitch he'll make the roster, if not he will be dealt for Cutter Dykstra's twin brother. He won't be rehabbing his head in MLB this year, at least not in DC.With as much talent as we have and players being pushed I'm still amazed Tracy got extended. I like the guy and hope he produces like he did before he got injured but he has to be smiling he has a roster spot on the best team in baseball right now.

45. Ghost Of Steve M. - Feb 7, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Thanks NatsJack, that's what I see also. GCL then to Hagerstown but I think he will get in 4 to 6 starts if his progression in the GCL is good.If Giolito does good in Hagerstown he could be an alternate in the AFL.

46. NatsJack in Florida - Feb 7, 2013 at 6:13 PM

47. JD - Feb 7, 2013 at 6:39 PM

'So Fangraphs rates Rizzo's trade for Span as the best deal made this off season. As we all say,, "In Rizzo We Trust".'Not according to Peric,

48. JD - Feb 7, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Giolito isn't turning 19 until July. I think Hagerstown might be a stretch especially coming off the TJ. I think more likely GCL and Auburn.

49. JD - Feb 7, 2013 at 6:46 PM

As a frame of reference the Pirates drafted Jameson Taillon 2nd overall to Bryce Harper in 2010 ; he is now 21 years old and is still a year away from the bigs at least. I think Giolito is 4 years away from the show if all goes well; in 4 years he will be 22.

50. Scooter - Feb 7, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Thanks, Tcostant. I love his description of several lefties as "upright and still unsigned." That really does seem to be how it works, once the offseason reaches a certain point.

51. Tcostant - Feb 7, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Enjoy Stras while we have him, because no way will Rizzo pay him the kind of money that he will command on the open market. Look at this:http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/07/felix-hernandez-mariners-on-verge-of-a-175-million-contract-extension/

52. Michael S - Feb 7, 2013 at 7:39 PM

OK I give up. What is PFB

53. MicheleS - Feb 7, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Tcostant. There is one thing you need to consider with Stras. Mark Lerner has been to every start (minors, majors, rehab, etc) that Stras has made. HE LOVES him and god know Boras will have a 60 page presentation on this so Lerner will be backing up the armored car.

54. MicheleS - Feb 7, 2013 at 7:41 PM

PFB = Pretty Frickin Bueno per McCatty.

55. baseballswami - Feb 7, 2013 at 7:41 PM

"Outsiders" seem to see the lack of a pure lefty specialist as a weakness in our pen. I don't think our organization is in lock -step with that kind of system at all. I don't think they like the idea of a pitcher who only throws to one guy. I think their plan is to have bullpen guys whose specialty is getting lefties out as well as righties — that doesn't have to mean they are left handed themselves, though. Once again, the Nats organization goes their own way. I like it. But when you hear analysis of our team, you will often hear those things presented as negatives.Same deal with puling pitchers for a pinch hitter – you will hear that the starters can't go deep into games. Inside the box thinking versus outside the box thinking.

56. Tcostant - Feb 7, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Michele you might be right, I will enjoy him now and be plesently surprised if he signs after his free agent years. By that time the going rate will be 7 years / $200 million.

57. Pilchard - Feb 7, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Strasburg will not be FA eligible until 2017. If (really big "if) he stays healthy and puts in 4 more solid seasons as starter, SS will get a massive contract along the lines of the rumored King Felix deal (and deservedly so). That is a long way off and a lot needs to happen including Strasburg dominating for 4 more years, which also would likely mean that the Nats dominate as a franchise. So, lets enjoy the next 4 years before worrying about SS breaking the bank in 2017.

58. Michael S - Feb 7, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Thanks michelle

59. Scooter - Feb 7, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Remember, Tcostant: just because something's never been done doesn't mean it never will be done. Until this offseason, Mike Rizzo had never traded a 6'9" right-hander who went to college in Kentucky. He finally saw a need to, so now he has.So, even though the team has never spent $200 million to re-sign a 2-time Cy Young winner and World Serious MVP, it might just be that the time was never right.Like you, I'm just going to relax and enjoy it.

60. Tony - Feb 7, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Strasburg hasn't even started going deep into games yet and already people are worried about him going deep into his contract. First things first, people.

61. Faraz Shaikh - Feb 7, 2013 at 8:16 PM

btw did you know the day Ted Lerner was born was the last day this city saw a team in a world series game?

62. slidell2 - Feb 7, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Ted is only 80?

63. Pilchard - Feb 7, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Ted Lerner is 87. Born October 15, 1925.

64. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Feb 7, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Can somebody link to the glossary for Michael? I can't from here–tech. issues.

65. Section 222 - Feb 7, 2013 at 9:05 PM

More info on PFP and other terms of art used by frequent commenters on this blog can be found on in the NIDO Spreadsheet/Glossary Seems like some frequently referred to PED references might be a helpful addition if a knowledgable source has the time and inclination…

66. UnkyD - Feb 7, 2013 at 9:33 PM

"The idea of a "good Henry" is as mythical as a unicorn. "——————Not quite, tcostant….. I SEEN good Henry. Unicorn, not so much…. :)

67. UnkyD - Feb 7, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Sorry! Should have been aimed at Theo….

68. John C. - Feb 7, 2013 at 9:35 PM

@Faraz: The Senators also went to the World Series in 1933, losing to the Giants in five games. At 8 years old, Ted Lerner may well have attended some of those games :)

69. Faraz Shaikh - Feb 7, 2013 at 9:44 PM

John C, how did I miss that?you are right. I forgot about 1933.Let's put Ted in a out of town private school for that year.

70. Faraz Shaikh - Feb 7, 2013 at 9:53 PM

for laughs: http://amzn.to/11R6zHY

71. Tony - Feb 7, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Real baseball fans don't need some stupid spreadsheet to know what Pitchers Fielding Practice is.

72. Section 222 - Feb 7, 2013 at 10:13 PM

73. NCNatsie - Feb 7, 2013 at 10:29 PM

LOL, Tony. Do we need to put that on the NIDO?

74. NCNatsie - Feb 7, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Speaking of the NIDO glossary, I know the Shark is Roger Bernadina, but I don't know why he is called that? So far, it doesn't seem to be in the glossary. Can someone explain for the masses?

75. Faraz Shaikh - Feb 7, 2013 at 10:36 PM

some non-NI blogger came up with that I think.

76. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Feb 7, 2013 at 10:43 PM

77. Faraz Shaikh - Feb 7, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Sharkadina!

78. Faraz Shaikh - Feb 7, 2013 at 10:47 PM

You owe me one Sofa.

79. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Feb 7, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Thanks, FS. Hard to do links from the phone.

80. Faraz Shaikh - Feb 7, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Haha, no problem. Ctrl+u, Ctrl+c, Ctrl+v does the trick, with a Ctrl+f and some backspace in there.Bet it would have been easier to write my own Href function.

81. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Feb 7, 2013 at 10:55 PM

The code is simple enough, if I don't accidentally get spaces in there screwing it up.

82. Faraz Shaikh - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:00 PM

I think you had missed the '.' after http://www.Learning HTML is not on top of my list but it is on the list. Some day though.

83. Faraz Shaikh - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:03 PM

On Felix extension, absurd amount of money I would not spend on anyone besides Mays, johnson, Williams, and Cobb.It seems like elite players these days are taking some kind of revenge for that reverse clause owners had over all players in the past.

84. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:03 PM

This site doesn't allow us to do much; you could learn the couple of codes it does allow in five minutes.

85. peric - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:05 PM

I think Giolito is soft-tossing 30 feet according to his tweets.Not off of the mound yet.

86. peric - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:07 PM

"Outsiders" seem to see the lack of a pure lefty specialist as a weakness in our pen.Bill Bray plus perhaps Patrick McCoy and perhaps Abed should do the trick. Plus? Zach Duke. That should be plenty.

87. natsfan1a - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:18 PM

I must need some real baseball, because when I followed the link from Faraz, my first thought was "that's kind of awesome." My second thought was, "I need one of those." Truth be told, I am something of a kitchen gadget fan as well.On another note, the NIDO has a how-to item on the HTML codes that this site will allow.

88. Faraz Shaikh - Feb 8, 2013 at 2:29 AM

1a, just read some of the reviews. Hilarious!Sofa, I think I already know those codes.

89. Faraz Shaikh - Feb 8, 2013 at 3:11 AM

five-year, $135.5MM for Felix. That's better than a seven year commitment I think.

90. sjm308 - Feb 8, 2013 at 4:06 AM