Feb 9, 2013, 9:44 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Gio Gonzalez becomes the second left-handed starter on Team USA’s roster.
Gio Gonzalez has accepted an offer to pitch for Team USA in next month’s World Baseball Classic, a somewhat surprising twist less than two weeks after the Nationals left-hander’s name surfaced in connection with a Miami clinic under investigation for distributing performance enhancing drugs.
Gonzalez, whose addition was announced on USA Baseball’s Twitter account, presumably takes the roster spot that opened up when Braves right-hander Kris Medlen withdrew in anticipation of the birth of his first child. He’s currently one of only two left-handed starters scheduled to pitch for Team USA, along with the Rangers’ Derek Holland.
Other projected members of the rotation are the Blue Jays’ R.A. Dickey and the Giants’ Ryan Vogelsong, though more pitchers (including Tigers ace Justin Verlander) could still be added before the final, 28-man roster must be submitted on Feb. 20.
Gonzalez was selected for the team by USA manager Joe Torre, who also serves as MLB’s executive vice president for baseball
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Diamondbacks at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg gives Nats 'what the doctor ordered'
- Strasburg tames Diamondbacks in 8-1 victory
- Gonzalez on the Nats' rotation: 'I want to catch up' (VIDEO)
- Nats' McLouth to have shoulder surgery, out for season
- LaRoche, Desmond and Fister take on the ice bucket (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Nationals go for eighth straight win against Arizona
- State of the Nationals' bullpen: Exhausted
- Around the NL East: Are the Marlins legit contenders?
- LaRoche finally gets to savor first walk-off homer
- Nats beat Diamondbacks in third straight walk-off win