Feb 9, 2013, 5:00 PM EST
USA Today Sports Images
Danny Espinosa will attempt to play with a torn left rotator cuff.
With the countdown to spring training in its final stages, we're counting down the five biggest storylines facing the Nationals in Viera. We continue today with spring storyline No. 3: The lingering injury issue for several key players…
Injuries are part of baseball, and no team is going to navigate its way through an entire season without seeing at least a couple important players land on the disabled list. But you always prefer to have your entire roster report for spring training with no major health questions, and unfortunately the Nationals can't quite say that.
Three key lineup regulars are returning from injuries suffered last season — Danny Espinosa, Wilson Ramos and Ryan Zimmerman — and all three must prove they have fully healed and will be able to proceed without any lingering problems.
Espinosa is the biggest concern of the three. He hurt his left shoulder late last season, was told by team orthopedist WiemiRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals hit the road to face Braves
- Zimmerman passes first test at first base
- Rendon reflects on first full pro season
- Giants lose Hunter Pence to significant injury
- Scherzer "happy" with first start of spring
- Braves' starter to see Dr. James Andrews about injury
- New addition scratched from Nationals debut
- Scherzer debuts as Nats open exhibition play
- Mets' Wheeler: 'I guarantee you we all saw what Bryce Harper said'
- After a trying year, Gwynn Jr. tries to come back