Feb 11, 2013, 6:50 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Will Ohman owns a 4.28 ERA in 10 big-league seasons.
VIERA, Fla. — As pitchers and catchers trickle into Space Coast Stadium on the day before they must officially report for spring training, the Nationals have added another veteran left-hander to the mix.
The Nationals today signed Will Ohman to a minor-league contract, extending the 35-year-old southpaw an invitation to big-league camp.
A veteran of 10 big-league seasons with the Cubs, Braves, Dodgers, Orioles, Marlins and White Sox, Ohman owns a career 4.28 ERA over 483 appearances. He spent last season with Chicago, going 0-2 with a 6.41 ERA in 32 games.
Ohman joins a cast of lefties attempting to win the final spot in the Nationals’ Opening Day bullpen, joining Bill Bray, Fernando Abad, Patrick McCoy and Brandon Mann. Fellow left-hander Zach Duke is favored to make the club, but as a long reliever and emergency starter, not as a specialist.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent
- Braves hire new hitting coach away from Blue Jays