Feb 11, 2013, 8:36 PM EDT
Associated Press file photo
Wilson Ramos hasn’t played since tearing his ACL on May 12.
VIERA, Fla. — Whether sauntering around the clubhouse at Space Coast Stadium, taking hacks in the batting cage or squatting behind the plate to receive pitches, Wilson Ramos shows no visible signs of the gruesome right knee injury that befell him nine months ago.
Indeed, as Nationals pitchers and catchers report for spring training, Ramos says there’s only one hurdle left to cross before he’ll know he’s 100 percent back from a torn ACL and MCL: Blocking balls in the dirt, the exact type of play that led to his injury last season.
“Yeah, that’s the last thing I will do,” he said, adding he hopes to add that drill to his repertoire in the next day or two. “But I feel confident about the knee. I feel like I will do it soon.”
Ramos admits he’s “a little bit scared” to attempt to block a pitch in the dirt. Not because he doesn’t think he can do it, but because the image of the last time he tried to perform that task — during the Nationals’ May 12 game in Cincinnati — remains fresh in his mind. Trying to chase after a ball that got away from him, his right leg gave out and he crumpled to the ground in agony.
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Now in 2nd place, Nats not scoreboard watching yet
- Struggling Nats out of 1st place in NL East
- Nats lose to Arizona, fall out of first place
- Strasburg strong in 2nd rehab start, next stop D.C.?
- Papelbon offers advice on pennant race pressure
- Updated: Good news for Carpenter, Span close to live BP
- Nats return home hoping to get back on track vs. D'Backs
- After sweep, Vegas sees Nats and Mets trending in different directions
- Postponement gives Nats new home finale
- The Baseball Show: Is NL East up for grabs?