Feb 11, 2013, 8:36 PM EST
Associated Press file photo
Wilson Ramos hasn’t played since tearing his ACL on May 12.
VIERA, Fla. — Whether sauntering around the clubhouse at Space Coast Stadium, taking hacks in the batting cage or squatting behind the plate to receive pitches, Wilson Ramos shows no visible signs of the gruesome right knee injury that befell him nine months ago.
Indeed, as Nationals pitchers and catchers report for spring training, Ramos says there’s only one hurdle left to cross before he’ll know he’s 100 percent back from a torn ACL and MCL: Blocking balls in the dirt, the exact type of play that led to his injury last season.
“Yeah, that’s the last thing I will do,” he said, adding he hopes to add that drill to his repertoire in the next day or two. “But I feel confident about the knee. I feel like I will do it soon.”
Ramos admits he’s “a little bit scared” to attempt to block a pitch in the dirt. Not because he doesn’t think he can do it, but because the image of the last time he tried to perform that task — during the Nationals’ May 12 game in Cincinnati — remains fresh in his mind. Trying to chase after a ball that got away from him, his right leg gave out and he crumpled to the ground in agony.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Phillies may target Cabrera to replace Rollins
- USO tour was "life-changing" for Nats' Fister
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats