Feb 11, 2013, 8:36 PM EDT
Associated Press file photo
Wilson Ramos hasn’t played since tearing his ACL on May 12.
VIERA, Fla. — Whether sauntering around the clubhouse at Space Coast Stadium, taking hacks in the batting cage or squatting behind the plate to receive pitches, Wilson Ramos shows no visible signs of the gruesome right knee injury that befell him nine months ago.
Indeed, as Nationals pitchers and catchers report for spring training, Ramos says there’s only one hurdle left to cross before he’ll know he’s 100 percent back from a torn ACL and MCL: Blocking balls in the dirt, the exact type of play that led to his injury last season.
“Yeah, that’s the last thing I will do,” he said, adding he hopes to add that drill to his repertoire in the next day or two. “But I feel confident about the knee. I feel like I will do it soon.”
Ramos admits he’s “a little bit scared” to attempt to block a pitch in the dirt. Not because he doesn’t think he can do it, but because the image of the last time he tried to perform that task — during the Nationals’ May 12 game in Cincinnati — remains fresh in his mind. Trying to chase after a ball that got away from him, his right leg gave out and he crumpled to the ground in agony.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ross continues to impress, but Mets showing their worth
- Duda, Cespedes too much for Nationals
- Cespedes debuts for Mets, as Nats aim to even series
- Nats are in a real pennant race now
- Mets beat Nats 2-1 in epic game capped by Flores walk-off
- Nats' reliever to get second opinion on ailing shoulder
- Catching up with now-Mets pitcher Tyler Clippard
- Mets get Cespedes for big series vs. Nats
- Nats, Mets begin weekend series with first place on the line
- MLB Power Rankings: Hamels, Price, Tulo all get traded