Feb 13, 2013, 10:14 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Bryce Harper and Jayson Werth will man opposite outfield corners this year.
VIERA, Fla. — The November trade for Denard Span forced, among other things, the Nationals to move Bryce Harper from center field to one of the two corner positions.
Harper, though, didn't have much of a say whether he wound up in left field or right field. Even Davey Johnson deferred that decision to the other player affected by this game of outfield musical chairs: Jayson Werth.
Werth, who has 723 games of big-league experience in right field (not to mention one of the largest contracts in baseball history), earned the right to pick his position and ultimately decided to stay right where he's been all along while bumping Harper to left field.
"I think Jayson's already decided that," Johnson said today. "He told me early on after we made the trade, he said the perfect spot for the kid is left field because he hasn't hit a cutoff man in two years."Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Sunday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Sunday's early games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Braves likely to make 'significant' changes this winter
- PHOTO: Nats get hero's welcome at Dulles on Sunday night
- As October looms, Strasburg and Nats are peaking
- Strasburg solves struggles in Miami, Nats win 2-1
- Barrett's role expanding with September surge
- Strasburg starts, but several regulars sit today
- As Nats hold breath, Zimmerman passes test
- Nationals win in Zimmerman's return
- Zimmerman begins race to get ready for October
- Zimmerman's back as Nationals face Marlins