Feb 13, 2013, 8:45 PM EDT
US Presswire file photo
Mike Rizzo and Davey Johnson appear content with the roster they have.
VIERA, Fla. — Though a handful of prominent free agents remain on the open market even after camps across baseball have opened, the Nationals appear content to stick with what they have … barring injury or other calamity.
"If you're talking about a big-time trade or a big-time free agent acquisition, I would think that would have to be something that was set off by something that happens here in camp," general manager Mike Rizzo said in his first media session of the spring. "But we're always looking to get ourselves better and deeper, and if there's something to be done that makes sense for us, we'll certainly do it."
At this point, any potential moves likely would be to add depth at Class AAA Syracuse, particularly pitching depth. The Nationals' big-league staff is all but finalized already, with five starters in place and perhaps only one bullpen job up for grabs among severalRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent
- Braves hire new hitting coach away from Blue Jays
- Nationals roster review: Jordan Zimmermann
- Nats' prospect Tony Renda selected for AFL showcase