Feb 13, 2013, 8:45 PM EST
US Presswire file photo
Mike Rizzo and Davey Johnson appear content with the roster they have.
VIERA, Fla. — Though a handful of prominent free agents remain on the open market even after camps across baseball have opened, the Nationals appear content to stick with what they have … barring injury or other calamity.
"If you're talking about a big-time trade or a big-time free agent acquisition, I would think that would have to be something that was set off by something that happens here in camp," general manager Mike Rizzo said in his first media session of the spring. "But we're always looking to get ourselves better and deeper, and if there's something to be done that makes sense for us, we'll certainly do it."
At this point, any potential moves likely would be to add depth at Class AAA Syracuse, particularly pitching depth. The Nationals' big-league staff is all but finalized already, with five starters in place and perhaps only one bullpen job up for grabs among severalRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day