Feb 13, 2013, 9:21 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Danny Espinosa is attempting to play with a torn left rotator cuff.
VIERA, Fla. — Both Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo and manager Davey Johnson said today they’re on board with Danny Espinosa’s plan to play through a torn left rotator cuff and were part of the decision to let the second baseman avoid offseason surgery.
“We meet with him, his representatives, doctors, trainers, everybody, and we say what’s the best course of action to take,” Rizzo said. “And we make a decision with it.”
Espinosa battled through shoulder pain last September, but an initial MRI performed by team orthopedist Wiemi Douoguih revealed only a bone bruise. Espinosa received a cortisone shot that relieved the pain, though his offensive production nosedived down the stretch and through the National League Division Series.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Gonzalez' pitching leads Nats over Mets
- Anthony Rendon has another setback in rehab from MCL sprain
- Gio starts as Nationals face Mets in New York
- Nats have had enough of the 8th inning
- Nats fall to Mets as Harvey bests Scherzer
- MLB amends rule involving Nats' top prospect
- Scherzer faces Harvey in marquee matchup
- Good news for Nats regarding Anthony Rendon's rehab
- MLB Power Rankings: Cubs, Yankees rising fast
- Impressive win for Nats in opener vs. Mets