Feb 13, 2013, 9:21 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Danny Espinosa is attempting to play with a torn left rotator cuff.
VIERA, Fla. — Both Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo and manager Davey Johnson said today they’re on board with Danny Espinosa’s plan to play through a torn left rotator cuff and were part of the decision to let the second baseman avoid offseason surgery.
“We meet with him, his representatives, doctors, trainers, everybody, and we say what’s the best course of action to take,” Rizzo said. “And we make a decision with it.”
Espinosa battled through shoulder pain last September, but an initial MRI performed by team orthopedist Wiemi Douoguih revealed only a bone bruise. Espinosa received a cortisone shot that relieved the pain, though his offensive production nosedived down the stretch and through the National League Division Series.
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m. TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper rediscovers his hitting stroke
- Nationals need win today to avoid losing road trip
- Depleted Nationals lineup shut out by Marlins
- Nationals can't fight back against Marlins, lose 3-0
- Werth out but says ankle sprain isn't serious
- Strasburg takes mound for big start vs. Marlins
- Zimmermann returns to form in dominant start
- Around the NL East: Which team will make a big splash via trade?
- After meltdown, Nationals must bounce back
- Werth hopes to play Tuesday after spraining ankle