Feb 14, 2013, 10:01 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Bryce Harper bulked up to 230 pounds over the winter.
VIERA, Fla. — Bryce Harper's primary goal this season, the 20-year-old made clear, is team-related.
"World Series," he said. "That's the biggest thing on my mind."
Not that the Nationals' All-Star outfielder hasn't set some personal goals for himself as well. He just prefers not to share those with the world.
"I have things in my head, goals in my head," he said. "But I'm not ready to share those, because people are probably going to think I'm crazy."
Given the high bar Harper has always set for himself — this is, after all, the same guy who graduated high school at 16, was drafted No. 1 in the country at 17 and won NL Rookie of the Year at 19 — there's no telling just what he believes he's capable of doing in his second big-league season.Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Robinson's seventh-inning homer good enough for 2-1 win
- Gonzalez heads to the mound to start series vs. Giants
- Williams got Division Series out of mind quickly
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats, Astros making a push
- Wacky way for Scherzer to take another loss
- Scherzer goes distance, but controversial call hands Nats loss
- Scherzer looks to keep historic run going
- Warning: Harper's Body Issue cover will make you blush
- Nats sign 1st significant Latin prospect in years
- Around the NL East: Phillies hire MacPhail to help rebuild effort