Feb 14, 2013, 10:01 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Bryce Harper bulked up to 230 pounds over the winter.
VIERA, Fla. — Bryce Harper's primary goal this season, the 20-year-old made clear, is team-related.
"World Series," he said. "That's the biggest thing on my mind."
Not that the Nationals' All-Star outfielder hasn't set some personal goals for himself as well. He just prefers not to share those with the world.
"I have things in my head, goals in my head," he said. "But I'm not ready to share those, because people are probably going to think I'm crazy."
Given the high bar Harper has always set for himself — this is, after all, the same guy who graduated high school at 16, was drafted No. 1 in the country at 17 and won NL Rookie of the Year at 19 — there's no telling just what he believes he's capable of doing in his second big-league season.Read more »
NLDS: NATIONALS VS. GIANTS
SAT: Game 2 at Washington, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3 at San Francisco, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4 at San Francisco, TBA (FS1)*
THU: Game 5 at Washington, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals draw Giants in NLDS after Wild Card win
- Braves' hitting coach resigns after trying season
- Game thread: Giants-Pirates battle to face Nats in NLDS
- Former Nats slugger Adam Dunn still plans to retire
- Giants or Pirates: who should Nats prefer to play in NLDS?
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs