Feb 14, 2013, 10:01 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Bryce Harper bulked up to 230 pounds over the winter.
VIERA, Fla. — Bryce Harper's primary goal this season, the 20-year-old made clear, is team-related.
"World Series," he said. "That's the biggest thing on my mind."
Not that the Nationals' All-Star outfielder hasn't set some personal goals for himself as well. He just prefers not to share those with the world.
"I have things in my head, goals in my head," he said. "But I'm not ready to share those, because people are probably going to think I'm crazy."
Given the high bar Harper has always set for himself — this is, after all, the same guy who graduated high school at 16, was drafted No. 1 in the country at 17 and won NL Rookie of the Year at 19 — there's no telling just what he believes he's capable of doing in his second big-league season.Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Embattled Desmond: "I'm gonna get through it"
- Span likely to make season debut Sunday
- Phillies 5, Nats 3: Desmond's woes open door for Phillies
- Nats waiting for MRI on Escobar's groin strain
- Zimmermann tries to lead Nats to 4th straight W
- Impressive Scherzer giving Nats lots of innings
- Nats 7, Phillies 2: Harper homers, Scherzer cruises
- Escobar leaves Nats game with strained groin
- Stammen on season-ending surgery: "Bring it on"
- Marlins catcher not happy after getting benched: 'Yeah I’m mad'