Storen re-watches Game 5

Feb 14, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT

Associated Press file photo
Drew Storen has been under an intense spotlight since Game 5 of the NLDS.

VIERA, Fla. — There are plenty of athletes who refuse to go back and watch their worst moments in competition, believing the only way to focus on the future is by forgetting the past.

Drew Storen believes in the opposite approach. If he blows a save, he wants to re-watch it and figure out what he did wrong.

"Any time I don't do well, it's not exactly fun to watch," he said. "It's like reading through a [term] paper somebody marked up. You felt good about the paper but didn't really do well. But that's how you learn. If I only went back and watched good outings, I wouldn't get any better."

So Storen wasn't afraid to load up a copy of Game 5 of the National League Division Series and re-live his ninth-inning collapse against the Cardinals, the agonizing conclusion to the Nationals' otherwiseRead more »

1. Traveler8 - Feb 14, 2013 at 1:05 PM

I so wished that we would be done with this as the last post of 2012 – after seeing the headline I have decided to not read this new post. Here's hoping that this is another one of those days with lots of posts so this gets buried.

2. natsfan1a - Feb 14, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Go get 'em, Drew! (or should I say Druuuuuuuuuu?)

3. Theophilus T. S. - Feb 14, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Ghoulish.

4. NatsJim - Feb 14, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Throw strikes Drew, everything else will take care of itself.

5. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Feb 14, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Ron Luciano (I think) used to like to get Earl Weaver to just the right shade of red in an argument and then tell him "But Earl, it's only a game!" just to watch him go nuts.

6. SCNatsFan - Feb 14, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I agree with NatsJim; Drew throws strikes and everything will be just fine.

7. sjm308 - Feb 14, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I really like hearing Storen speak. I think he is one of our brightest young men. I also think he will be fine this year. In two years he will step into the closer role and hopefully keep that role for many many more.So great to read the insider then go get the Post and open the sports to a huge picture of Davey with multiple articles on the back page as well. Ahhh Baseball. Remember just a few short years ago when we were lucky to get one article and even then we were sharing time with articles on the Orioles. We have come a long way people.

8. MicheleS - Feb 14, 2013 at 2:58 PM

9. Ghost Of Steve M. - Feb 14, 2013 at 3:01 PM

I had been very critical of Drew's comments after Game 5 "I wouldn't change a thing". I'm glad that he has re-examined things and has a more analytical approach to it "Once I did that [rewatched Game 5], I understood what I needed to learn from it."Davey also is spot on about both Drew and Gio's approach however I will go back to my criticism of Gio's approach is moreso that he is nibbling because he's throwing almost all fastballs when his curveball is not working. Gio has shown an amazing Houdini act to get through many games when the fish are biting on his nibbles. When they aren't the pitch count soars and the walk total skyrockets and it becomes a short outing as we saw in the post-season.I will say it again that until Gio adds some other plus pitches to his repertoire of curveball/fastball he will continue to have these problems. I just hope he realizes that he needs another "plus" pitch and with Dan Haren there I think there may be the answer. Learn his cutter and split which you throw as a fastball. Haren has made a career of throwing several variations of a fastball to be at times one of the best pitchers in the Majors. Gio has an advantage, he has velocity and the curveball to go with it!

10. MicheleS - Feb 14, 2013 at 3:02 PM

New post

11. John C. - Feb 14, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Ghost, it's hard to square your criticism of Gio, his approach and his need to add to his aresenal versus his actual results over the past three seasons: 97 starts, 602 IP, a 52-29 record, ERA going from 3.23 to 3.12 to 2.89, ERA+ (ERA adjusted for park factors, 100 is league average) from 127 to 129 to 137, 7.4 H/9, 8.6 K/9 …Man, just think how good this guy would be if his approach was better and he had better stuff!

12. David - Feb 14, 2013 at 4:03 PM

yeah that trap for Gio is not one he fell into very often this past year. yes it happened in the playoffs, but i don't think it's an "approach issue" to his pitching. i think it was more nerves than anything. Drew had it as well. our guys got a taste of the bigger stage last year and this year should be used to it. that's Davey's take too.

13. IPLawguy - Feb 14, 2013 at 4:59 PM

At the time I wondered if the cold weather was affecting his grip. He just could not get the breaking ball over the plate. I still wonder.Sec314

14. JayB - Feb 14, 2013 at 8:59 PM

No wonder Drew is no longer the closer. I called for the move in October. They need a proven closer, not a young arm who is head strong. I would not change a thing……stupid statement. Davey and everyone else knows what he should change…how does Drew not say it?