Feb 15, 2013, 3:00 AM EST
VIERA, Fla. — Today's first pitchers and catchers workout began in pleasant enough conditions: overcast skies, 70 degrees. But about one hour into the session, the heavens opened, and they still haven't closed almost 12 hours later.
The rain sent everyone scurrying but didn't dramatically alter the Nationals' workout plans.
"The weather helped just right," manager Davey Johnson said. "We got our work in. Everybody got their last pitch in. Then the big drops came. The only change in the workout was the catchers hit in the cages and got all the work in. It was a good day."
Plenty of big names took to the bullpen mounds for their first official throwing sessions of the spring, including the star-studded first group of Stephen Strasburg, Gio Gonzalez, Ross Detwiler and Drew Storen. Strasburg was his usual impressive self, lookingRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- After a trying year, Gwynn Jr. tries to come back
- Nationals players excited to see pitching staff in action
- WATCH: Harper faces Strasburg for first time
- Werth hits off tee for first time since surgery
- Matt Harvey expected to make much-awaited return against Nats
- Ankiel starts new chapter as life skills coordinator
- Ian Desmond discusses team expectations and future with Nats
- Eventful BP for Harper, update on Werth in Tuesday's workout
- Desmond, Rendon like what they see from Zimmerman at 1B
- Scherzer to start exhibition opener vs. Mets