Feb 15, 2013, 9:48 PM EST
VIERA, Fla. — His right shoulder nearly 100 percent following offseason surgery, Ryan Zimmerman plans to tweak his throwing mechanics this spring, going back to a more natural motion now that he’s no longer restricted.
Davey Johnson’s reaction upon learning that news from his star third baseman: “Hallelujah.”
“That sounds great to me,” the Nationals manager said. “I want [him] to do things naturally and not think them through.”
Zimmerman’s awkward mechanics — they seemed more like a series of gears shifting into place rather than one fluid motion — led to 19 errors last season, 12 of them on throws, and became a source of frustration for him.
“Obviously, sometimes it didn’t look so good,” he said. “It was probably the first time I ever felt uncomfortable on a baseball field at any time. But we battled through it. The training staff and all those guys did a great job helping me get through. Having that in the past and being able to work now, kind of starting fresh, it’s refreshing.”
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ian Desmond discusses team expectations and future with Nats
- Eventful BP for Harper, update on Werth in Tuesday's workout
- Desmond, Rendon like what they see from Zimmerman at 1B
- Scherzer to start exhibition opener vs. Mets
- Bryce Harper does a pretty epic videobomb on Anthony Rendon
- ESPN throws shade on Nats' jerseys, calling them among worst in MLB
- On the cusp of majors, Taylor bides his time
- Mets pitcher really, really does not like defensive shifts
- Dodgers sign former Phillies free agent bust
- Nats sign son of MLB legend to minor-league deal