Feb 15, 2013, 7:37 PM EDT
The Nationals' newly signed closer had been unable to report with his fellow pitchers and catchers on Tuesday because he was still waiting on paperwork in his native country. He missed Thursday's first official workout and again wasn't present for today's session on the practice fields adjacent to Space Coast Stadium but could be in uniform as soon as Saturday morning.
"The word I got was they stamped his visa this morning," manager Davey Johnson said. "I don't know what the travel plans are, but I imagine he'll be here sometime tomorrow. I'm not worried about that. I'm glad he got his visa."
Soriano, 33, signed a two-year, $28 million contract — $14 million of that is deferred — on January 17, a surprising move considering the Nationals already had two other right-handers with closingRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Scherzer on mound as Nats try to take series
- Papelbon aiming for saves record, hopes to co-exist with Storen
- On Harper's blasts and Nats' new-look pen
- Report: Phillies trade Cole Hamels to AL West team
- Mets SS cries on field after learning of trade that didn't happen
- Harper homers twice into upper deck, Nats beat Marlins 7-2
- Report: Mets' trade for All-Star falls through
- Marlins get payback, play fart noises during Nats batting practice
- Nats hope to bounce back in Miami with Fister starting
- Nats Stock Watch: Starting pitchers scuffling