Feb 15, 2013, 7:37 PM EDT
The Nationals' newly signed closer had been unable to report with his fellow pitchers and catchers on Tuesday because he was still waiting on paperwork in his native country. He missed Thursday's first official workout and again wasn't present for today's session on the practice fields adjacent to Space Coast Stadium but could be in uniform as soon as Saturday morning.
"The word I got was they stamped his visa this morning," manager Davey Johnson said. "I don't know what the travel plans are, but I imagine he'll be here sometime tomorrow. I'm not worried about that. I'm glad he got his visa."
Soriano, 33, signed a two-year, $28 million contract — $14 million of that is deferred — on January 17, a surprising move considering the Nationals already had two other right-handers with closingRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals Stock Watch: NL East champs have plenty of risers
- Matt Williams quotes Robert Frost in postgame speech (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Nats celebrate NL East title with loud music, lots of beer
- Nationals players react to winning NL East on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper wears custom firefighters helmet to celebrate
- Nationals clinch NL East with victory in Atlanta
- How did Zimmerman fare in first game action in Viera?
- Nationals play for NL East title tonight in Atlanta
- Has Strasburg earned Game 1 start in playoffs?
- Around the NL East: Braves on the verge of elimination