Feb 15, 2013, 11:39 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Jordan Zimmermann throws in the bullpen during today's workout.
VIERA, Fla. — The Nationals have come to terms on a one-year contract with Jordan Zimmermann, avoiding an arbitration hearing that was set to be held Tuesday in Arizona.
Terms of the deal aren't yet known, but Zimmermann is expected to earn a sizable raise from his $2.3 million during a breakthrough 2012 season. He had formally asked for $5.8 million when arbitration figures were submitted to MLB offices last month; the Nationals countered with an offer of $4.6 million. [UPDATE AT 7:12 P.M. -- Zimmermann will make $5.35 million.]
The 26-year-old right-hander established himself as one of baseball's best young pitchers, going 12-8 in 32 starts with a 2.94 ERA that ranked seventh in the National League. One more year removed from Tommy John surgery, he hopes to surpass the 200-inning mark this season while further cementing his place among one of the sports' most dominant rotations.
Though this contract establishes Zimmermann's salary for this season, the Nationals remain interested in negotiating a long-term deal with their 2007 second-round draft pick. Talks haven'tRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
OCT. 7: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs
- MLB postseason begins tonight: Wild Card playoff preview
- 5 questions facing the Nationals in the postseason
- Nats finding ways to stay sharp (VIDEO)
- Games 1 and 2 at Nationals Park will be matinees
- Revisiting Opening Day predictions on the Nats
- Zimmermann named NL Player of the Week for 2nd time this year
- Nats' plan to stay fresh before Game 1 of the NLDS