Feb 15, 2013, 11:39 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Jordan Zimmermann throws in the bullpen during today's workout.
VIERA, Fla. — The Nationals have come to terms on a one-year contract with Jordan Zimmermann, avoiding an arbitration hearing that was set to be held Tuesday in Arizona.
Terms of the deal aren't yet known, but Zimmermann is expected to earn a sizable raise from his $2.3 million during a breakthrough 2012 season. He had formally asked for $5.8 million when arbitration figures were submitted to MLB offices last month; the Nationals countered with an offer of $4.6 million. [UPDATE AT 7:12 P.M. -- Zimmermann will make $5.35 million.]
The 26-year-old right-hander established himself as one of baseball's best young pitchers, going 12-8 in 32 starts with a 2.94 ERA that ranked seventh in the National League. One more year removed from Tommy John surgery, he hopes to surpass the 200-inning mark this season while further cementing his place among one of the sports' most dominant rotations.
Though this contract establishes Zimmermann's salary for this season, the Nationals remain interested in negotiating a long-term deal with their 2007 second-round draft pick. Talks haven'tRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Rockies, 8:40 p.m.
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants
- Nats fan sports 'Curly W' beard (PHOTO)
- State of the Nats: 9-game road trip begins Monday