Feb 15, 2013, 11:39 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Jordan Zimmermann throws in the bullpen during today's workout.
VIERA, Fla. — The Nationals have come to terms on a one-year contract with Jordan Zimmermann, avoiding an arbitration hearing that was set to be held Tuesday in Arizona.
Terms of the deal aren't yet known, but Zimmermann is expected to earn a sizable raise from his $2.3 million during a breakthrough 2012 season. He had formally asked for $5.8 million when arbitration figures were submitted to MLB offices last month; the Nationals countered with an offer of $4.6 million. [UPDATE AT 7:12 P.M. -- Zimmermann will make $5.35 million.]
The 26-year-old right-hander established himself as one of baseball's best young pitchers, going 12-8 in 32 starts with a 2.94 ERA that ranked seventh in the National League. One more year removed from Tommy John surgery, he hopes to surpass the 200-inning mark this season while further cementing his place among one of the sports' most dominant rotations.
Though this contract establishes Zimmermann's salary for this season, the Nationals remain interested in negotiating a long-term deal with their 2007 second-round draft pick. Talks haven'tRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Tanner Roark
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent