Zimmermann avoids arbitration

Feb 15, 2013, 11:39 PM EDT

USA Today Sports Images
Jordan Zimmermann throws in the bullpen during today's workout.

VIERA, Fla. — The Nationals have come to terms on a one-year contract with Jordan Zimmermann, avoiding an arbitration hearing that was set to be held Tuesday in Arizona.

Terms of the deal aren't yet known, but Zimmermann is expected to earn a sizable raise from his $2.3 million during a breakthrough 2012 season. He had formally asked for $5.8 million when arbitration figures were submitted to MLB offices last month; the Nationals countered with an offer of $4.6 million. [UPDATE AT 7:12 P.M. -- Zimmermann will make $5.35 million.]

The 26-year-old right-hander established himself as one of baseball's best young pitchers, going 12-8 in 32 starts with a 2.94 ERA that ranked seventh in the National League. One more year removed from Tommy John surgery, he hopes to surpass the 200-inning mark this season while further cementing his place among one of the sports' most dominant rotations.

Though this contract establishes Zimmermann's salary for this season, the Nationals remain interested in negotiating a long-term deal with their 2007 second-round draft pick. Talks haven'tRead more »

1. Ghost Of Steve M. - Feb 15, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Congrats JZim!

2. Ghost Of Steve M. - Feb 15, 2013 at 11:45 PM

“I throw a few curveballs, but it’s not really a big pitch for me,” Haren said. “The split I usually hold on to until March rolls around, because it’s a little rough on your arm. It’s not really a feel pitch, anyways. It’s really a fastball.”Like I have said since Rizzo signed Haren is his ability to mentor fastball pitchers and especially Gio who needs to add another "non-feel" pitch which could be a cutter or splitter which is a fastball with different movement.No pitcher throws more varieties of fastballs in the percentages that Haren does for a starter last year 94%.

3. Gonat - Feb 15, 2013 at 11:49 PM

JD said… Gonat,Let's hope it's the long term deal we have all been hoping for. February 15, 2013 6:05 PM Steady Eddie said… JD – No, one year deal for now. That's what JZimm said was going to happen first in any case, before he would consider a long-term offer._________________________Yep, have to start somewhere! Now let's get the long-term deal done.MLB Network did a funny split screen of brothers on the same team: The Upton Brothers & The Zimmerman(n) Not-Brothers

4. NatsNut - Feb 16, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Lannan went to arbitration last year and lost.

5. NatsNut - Feb 16, 2013 at 12:05 AM

oh wait. you said second time in three seasons. I stand corrected.

6. baseballswami - Feb 16, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Another Nats Classic. Fun times. Walk off grand slam versus Phils. 2012? Maybe August?

7. djinFl. - Feb 16, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Well I can not really stand it anymore. It takes two hours for me to get to camp and I figured I'd go every 3 days. Went crazy today being home, so I'm going south tomorrow and Sunday, and then see will about Monday. By the way, I live in a very small town, Palatka, in a vey poor county. Yet an up and coming town because today I saw a high school age kid walking home from school wearing a Nats 34 shirt and Nats cap. Our town now has 3 known Nats fans and folks that ranks as a movement. Pics on twitter tomorrw night.

8. baseballswami - Feb 16, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Nats Classic is 2011, Livo.

9. NatsJack in Florida - Feb 16, 2013 at 12:28 AM

As cold as it's going to be, I'll see you Sunday (and maybe tomorrow) djinfl. (Dave).

10. SonnyG10 - Feb 16, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Well all right djinFl! Bless your small town and bless the Nat fan movement there. Love hearing stories like this.

11. SonnyG10 - Feb 16, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Sure happy Jordan and Mike avoided arbitration. I always worry about hard feelings being caused by those things.

12. JaneB - Feb 16, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Phew.

13. Section 222 - Feb 16, 2013 at 12:42 AM

14. JaneB - Feb 16, 2013 at 12:42 AM

In other news, I see I have less than 44 days to get my life in order and accomplish all I needed to in the off-season, before I get taken over again by Real Baseball. Probably, I can only hold out about 22 days. I shouldn't have slacked off so much.

15. Theophilus T. S. - Feb 16, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Rather than just split the difference, Rizzo gave Zimmermann an hors d'oeuvre, a taste of what he can have if he signs a long term extension.

16. Section 222 - Feb 16, 2013 at 1:43 AM

No doubt Znn knows exactly what he can have when he signs a long term deal. An extra $100K in this settlement won't have much bearing on whether he goes for it this year. I hope he does though. He's a bulldog and belongs in a Nats uni for years to come. I can't wait to see how he'll do this year, three years removed from his surgery. I'll be surprised if he signs before the end of this season.

17. natsfan1a - Feb 16, 2013 at 2:09 AM

Atta way, Jordan!And hello, Palatka. :-)

18. Gonat - Feb 16, 2013 at 2:38 AM

19. Gonat - Feb 16, 2013 at 2:41 AM

So JZ got $150,000 over the mid-point between what he was asking and what the Nats were offereing.

20. NatsLady - Feb 16, 2013 at 2:43 AM

Just read the WaPo article on Haren's bullpen. Can't wait to see this guy in action! Sounds really smart about pitching.Also, Boz is out with a new article on Gio. Basically says the clubhouse is convinced of his innocence, so is Davey, that MLB through "back channels" has indicated he's ok, and that MLB would not have signed him on for the WBC if he were going to embarrass them by getting suspended. He concedes none of this will settle the question.

21. baseballswami - Feb 16, 2013 at 2:46 AM

Watching the 2011 game vs the Phils. It is before Take Back the Park. Disgusting. Never again, fellow Nats Insiders, I swear to you, never again.

22. Gonat - Feb 16, 2013 at 2:48 AM

Section 222 said… Interesting result. Splitting the difference would have been $5.2 million. I guess Rizzo wasn't as confident in his case as several commenters here. Well done JZnn and his agent. Now on to baseball.______________________________It also means the Nats will pay more next year too most likely as it is %'s year over year in Arb cases and we should welcome it as it will mean JZ is doing this team well!

23. baseballswami - Feb 16, 2013 at 2:51 AM

I am at the point where everything is possible and my rosé colored glasses are firmly in place. If these five pitchers do what they are capable of…….. Oh, Lordy, this could be fun. And again, I call for miles of bubble wrap.

24. NatsNut - Feb 16, 2013 at 2:56 AM

Very good point, Jane! Me too. JaneB said…In other news, I see I have less than 44 days to get my life in order and accomplish all I needed to in the off-season, before I get taken over again by Real Baseball.

25. Gonat - Feb 16, 2013 at 2:57 AM

NatsLady said… Just read the WaPo article on Haren's bullpen. Can't wait to see this guy in action! Sounds really smart about pitching.__________________________________I think the comment you made and what SteveM wrote above at 6:45pm says a lot about how some of the more perceptive have already embraced Haren.He seems to be a pitcher who had to adapt as his velo dropped off and develop deception by movement.I'm thinking Rizzo brought Haren in as an upgrade to what he didn't get from Edwin. I think Edwin was more of a friend than a mentor. This could be one of those moves that is paying even more dividends in the clubhouse and behind the scenes kind of like Werth.So far I have to say I like.

26. NatsLady - Feb 16, 2013 at 2:59 AM

Watching the Top 10 managers "right now." Bowa ranked Davey #8, Jaffe ranked him #3, the "Shredder" ranked him #2. Bochy was #1, but if you recall–the Nats thrashed Bochy's team when they had the chance (OK, part of it was the summer heat…)

27. Doc - Feb 16, 2013 at 3:44 AM

Same article that I read about Haren, also had an update on Ryan Perry. First days of ST isn't a season, but sounds like Perry has turned his career around from being a rejected reliever from the Tigers. He never pitched in high school, and previous to last year, he hadn't started more than 5 games between high school and the pros, so maybe he's walking around with a fresh arm.Along with Rivero (no more options?), Perry's one of my underdogs, even if both end up outside of the 25 man roster.

28. sjm308 - Feb 16, 2013 at 3:46 AM

Doc: Not sure how or why but Perry actually has one more option.

29. Laddie Blah Blah - Feb 16, 2013 at 7:26 AM

"Watching the Top 10 managers "right now." Bowa ranked Davey #8, Jaffe ranked him #3, the "Shredder" ranked him #2. Bochy was #1…"I missed that one. I've got a lot of respect for Bochy, but Davey is perfect for these Nats. Davey, really, had the better team, but Bochy was the guy who won it all. He deserved to be No. 1. But I would rather have Davey here than Bochy, regardless. On the merits, the shredder had it right – for last year. This year Davey is more likely to come out on top.

30. Laddie Blah Blah - Feb 16, 2013 at 7:31 AM

"Like I have said since Rizzo signed Haren is his ability to mentor fastball pitchers and especially Gio who needs to add another "non-feel" pitch which could be a cutter or splitter which is a fastball with different movement."Terrific insight Ghost. JZ could use a little more variety in his repertoire, too. Haren seems like a great fit for a young, power-pitching staff.