Feb 16, 2013, 12:23 PM EST
VIERA, Fla. — When last seen wearing a curly W cap, Adam LaRoche was among those inside a sullen clubhouse at Nationals Park, the sting of a Game 5 collapse to the Cardinals in the NLDS overwhelming all other emotions.
LaRoche's dismay could have been compounded by the possibility he had just played his final game as a National, his free agency future unclear. The veteran first baseman, though, insists that thought didn't cross his mind in that moment.
"No, at the end of the year, I didn't think anything of it," he said. "As a matter of fact, I left my stuff in D.C. I just assumed we'd work something out and I'd be back."
The path toward a new contract was perhaps longer and more complicated than he expected, but LaRoche ultimately worked out a two-year, $24 million deal to return. And yesterday morning, heRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Granderson, Mets reach $60M, 4-yr deal
- Could Michael Morse return to the National League?
- Nate McLouth gives Nats depth & insurance
- Nats still have things to do at Winter Meetings
- Napoli, Red Sox agree on 2-year, $32M deal
- Nats 1B Adam LaRoche to join USO Holiday Tour
- Carlos Beltran, Yankees agree at $45M, 3 years
- Nationals sign outfielder McLouth to 2-year deal
- Phillies looking to trade CL Jonathan Papelbon
- Mariners sign Robinson Cano to 10-year, $240 million deal