Feb 16, 2013, 12:23 PM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — When last seen wearing a curly W cap, Adam LaRoche was among those inside a sullen clubhouse at Nationals Park, the sting of a Game 5 collapse to the Cardinals in the NLDS overwhelming all other emotions.
LaRoche's dismay could have been compounded by the possibility he had just played his final game as a National, his free agency future unclear. The veteran first baseman, though, insists that thought didn't cross his mind in that moment.
"No, at the end of the year, I didn't think anything of it," he said. "As a matter of fact, I left my stuff in D.C. I just assumed we'd work something out and I'd be back."
The path toward a new contract was perhaps longer and more complicated than he expected, but LaRoche ultimately worked out a two-year, $24 million deal to return. And yesterday morning, heRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nationals host Padres in first of four-game series
- MLB Power Rankings: Rangers moving up the ladder
- Deconstructing the Nationals' game-winning rally
- Gio Gonzalez pulled from Nats' win with left shoulder tightness
- LaRoche's walk-off hit saves Nationals from sweep vs. Angels
- Former Senators pitcher Connie Marrero passes away
- Injury updates on Zimmerman and Hairston
- Baseball in the District: Thom Loverro of ESPN 980 talks Nats
- Gio, Nationals try to avoid getting swept by Angels
- Nationals Stock Watch: Harper has rough week