Feb 16, 2013, 2:56 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Rafael Soriano participated in his first workout with the Nationals today.
VIERA, Fla. — Rafael Soriano arrived at Nationals camp this morning, four days later than the rest of the club's pitchers and catchers but relieved to be with his new teammates at last after waiting for his work visa to be approved in the Dominican Republic.
"I wanted to be here a little bit early and be with my new team," the reliever said. "So I go and try to get my visa, and I see nothing happens. So now I have to wait and see what happens."
Soriano, who has been throwing on his own at home, finally got word yesterday morning his visa was approved and immediately made plans to fly to Florida.
"The guy called me and said: 'Hey, I got your passport. You can go anytime you want,'" the 33-year-old closer said. "So I said: 'Let me get a flight and get here.'"
Signed in late-January to a two-year, $28 million contract — with $14 million of the money deferred — Soriano has been through
Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win
- Gonzalez, Nats win pitchers duel on another walk-off
- Nats' Zimmerman takes significant step in recovery
- Nationals aim for team record 10th straight win vs. D-Backs
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"
- Are Nationals finally playing to full potential? (VIDEO)
- Mo'ne Davis and company have one more chance
- Young guns bat, slide Nationals to ninth-straight win
- Matt Williams projects when Ryan Zimmerman will return