Soriano arrives, works out

Feb 16, 2013, 2:56 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Rafael Soriano participated in his first workout with the Nationals today.

VIERA, Fla. — Rafael Soriano arrived at Nationals camp this morning, four days later than the rest of the club's pitchers and catchers but relieved to be with his new teammates at last after waiting for his work visa to be approved in the Dominican Republic.

"I wanted to be here a little bit early and be with my new team," the reliever said. "So I go and try to get my visa, and I see nothing happens. So now I have to wait and see what happens."

Soriano, who has been throwing on his own at home, finally got word yesterday morning his visa was approved and immediately made plans to fly to Florida.

"The guy called me and said: 'Hey, I got your passport. You can go anytime you want,'" the 33-year-old closer said. "So I said: 'Let me get a flight and get here.'"

Signed in late-January to a two-year, $28 million contract — with $14 million of the money deferred — Soriano has been through

1. Gonat - Feb 16, 2013 at 3:09 PM

A little pet peeve. Can't you use his Press Conference photo in a Nats uni instead of constantly using his Yankees uni?

2. baseballswami - Feb 16, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Good news via twitter. Pitchers are working on the pick off move and holding runners today.

3. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Feb 16, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Mattheus, Storen, Clippard and this guy. Go ahead, try and score on us after the fifth inning.Come to think of it, those first five frames are not going to be any walk in the park either.Oh, my, we've come a long way from Tomo Ohko, baby.

4. Ghost Of Steve M. - Feb 16, 2013 at 3:53 PM

5. Section 222 - Feb 16, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Ghost, check the NIDO HowTo section for how to embed a hyperlink in your comment. That was the longest one ever! ;-)

6. waddu eye no - Feb 16, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Story about bryce coming up on mlbtv

7. Ghost Of Steve M. - Feb 16, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Sect222, I am inept. I will try again.

8. Ghost Of Steve M. - Feb 16, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Sunshine – Tomo Ohko! If only John Patterson had stayed healthy. That guy had #1 stuff.

9. waddu eye no - Feb 16, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Oops. Maybe notGrrr

10. Davide - Feb 16, 2013 at 4:15 PM

I'm sorry but I'm pretty new to baseball facts..why do pitchers and catchers report earlier than other position players? what do they do in the "additional" week of work out?

11. mo nats - Feb 16, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Totally different subject – check out the Nats website, a new video shows Danny E shaving his humongous beard right before our eyes.

12. original Nats Fan - Feb 16, 2013 at 4:36 PM

13. Davide - Feb 16, 2013 at 4:42 PM

@ original Nats FanGot it. Thank you.. :)

14. SonnyG10 - Feb 16, 2013 at 4:43 PM

original Nats Fan said…@Davidemanager and coaches can focus on the pitchers, see where they are at physically, schedule bullpen sessions, etc. if pitchers are there, catchers have to be also.February 16, 2013 11:36 AMAlso, it takes a little longer to get pitchers stretched out. They need to be able to pitch at least 6 or 7 innings by the end of spring training.

15. SonnyG10 - Feb 16, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Starting pitchers, that is.

16. MicheleS - Feb 16, 2013 at 4:46 PM

And Henry threw one into Center Field. OY! So it begins!Mark Zuckerman @ZuckermanCSN Henry Rodriguez's first pickoff attempt of the day winds up in center field.

17. Doc - Feb 16, 2013 at 4:47 PM

How about a little Photo-Shop Nats' uniform stuff???Even Soriano's Rays' uni would be better than the hated Yankee's outfit!

18. Ghost Of Steve M. - Feb 16, 2013 at 4:56 PM

MicheleS, say it ain't so. I'm shaking my head side to side.

19. Ghost Of Steve M. - Feb 16, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Doc, exactly and it's 2 posts this week in Yankees uni's. Comcast must have an account with Getty Images but if they don't then yes Photoshop. Even the Washington Times where they are laying off workers had the ability to use Nats photos in their numerous Rafael Soriano posts.

20. Ghost Of Steve M. - Feb 16, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Love it! Mark replaced the photo!!!!!

21. horsey - Feb 16, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Back off, Ghost of Steve M. Mark has provided FOR FREE this forum where you shoot off your mouth way too much anyway. You would have no room for complaint even if it was a photo of Alfonso Soriano in a Yankees uniform.

22. natsfan1a - Feb 16, 2013 at 5:41 PM

I'm heading over to NIDO to buy Mark a drink for putting up with us. :-)

23. NatsNut - Feb 16, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Ohmygosh I'm laughing so hard.MicheleS said…Mark Zuckerman @ZuckermanCSNHenry Rodriguez's first pickoff attempt of the day winds up in center field.

24. Doc - Feb 16, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Horsey, you're looking a gift horse in the mouth. Steve M. is the man, and a proud contributor to this site. Your comment about Soriano, Alfonso by name, makes no sense.Besides sportfan, Mark channnnnnged the picture!!!! And also besides, Mark expects us to provide frequent commentary—that's how this site survives as a commercial entity, e.g., the more the merrier ($).Which stable are you out of? The one flying Philthie colors?

25. NatsNutty - Feb 16, 2013 at 5:58 PM

And so it goes. Mudslinging already and the games haven't even begun, yet! Wait until Peric shows up!

26. Mickey Vernon - Feb 16, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Henry R reminds me of old Senators' shortstop Johnny Sullivan. His throwing was so bad it was expected, hence Arch MacDonald's deadpan call: "Grounder to Sullivan and he throws it in the dugout."

27. Tony - Feb 16, 2013 at 6:15 PM

"Mark Zuckerman @ZuckermanCSNHenry Rodriguez's first pickoff attempt of the day winds up in center field."That's what happens when position players haven't reported yet and you have no one covering second.

28. Mickey Vernon - Feb 16, 2013 at 6:17 PM

And then there was Clark Griffith's son-in-law, Sherry Robertson. Arch: "Fly ball to right, Robertson knocks if down and throws it to second."

29. sjm308 - Feb 16, 2013 at 6:28 PM

I can't top the radio calls and Arch was just great with his gruff voice, but I was there when Carlos Paula had a fly ball go off his head in Right Field. Just a difficult club to love but we did!!

30. sjm308 - Feb 16, 2013 at 6:29 PM

By the way, Mickey – I loved how you played the game! LaRoche sort of reminds me of how you picked it at first base.

31. Ghost Of Steve M. - Feb 16, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Horsey, i love Mark. I was a founding contributor to help Mark and very commited to his success. I gavé him a suggestion on Getty Images. Didn't think that was a problem. Who wants to see Yankees unis?

32. Ghost Of Steve M. - Feb 16, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Doc, thanks for the kind words and back to you!

33. MicheleS - Feb 16, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Watching the twitter feeds of the beat reporters is making me laugh. The stuff coming out is just hilarious. Thanks Mark!!!

34. DWS - Feb 16, 2013 at 7:00 PM

What are the odds of a 10 year old going to Jarry Park (with Dad) and following the Expos until they left, and continuing to follow the team through Mr Loria and MLB's destruction of an organization. Phoenix rising. Thanks Mark and all you posters, best part of my day.I'll be buying the World Series DVD.

35. Mickey Vernon - Feb 16, 2013 at 7:08 PM

sjm308 — I didn't think anyone on here went back as far as I do. Carlos Paula! How about Bingo Binks in CF, and Milo Candini coming in to relieve Chick Pieretti? Saw my first game in 1945, first opener in 1946. We deserve today's Nats. Any others on here who took the streetcar to Griffith Stadium?

36. natsfan1a - Feb 16, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Drake is in the house, with a new 'do.

37. sjm308 - Feb 16, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Hell yes! Took the streetcar from Takoma Park to Griffith. Pretty sure it was a nickel at first and then it was bumped up to a dime.

38. Mickey Vernon - Feb 16, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Gotta go, but one final Senators memory: Arch MacDonald's gong on his calls from the teletype on road games. "Here it comes and there it goes — bong — over the hills — bong — and far away — bong — into the left field stands — bong — a home run for Hank Greenberg."

39. NatsJack in Florida - Feb 16, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Bussed in from Arlington to Georgetown, then the streetcar to the inteesection of Floida and Georgia Avenues to old Griffith Stadium. Always stopped at the Little Tavern in Georgetown for some of those .05 cent burgers on the way.

40. peric - Feb 16, 2013 at 8:28 PM

LT death burgers in Georgetown? Open seemed like 24 hours? Been there many times.

41. peric - Feb 16, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Would have loved to ride the great, modern, air conditioned street cars that DC Transit once had. But thanks to Dwight D. Eisenhower I never go the chance.

42. Tony - Feb 16, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Why isn't that LaRoche kid in school?

43. NatsJack in Florida - Feb 16, 2013 at 8:38 PM

It's Saturday.

44. Natman - Feb 16, 2013 at 9:01 PM

@DWSYou're not alone. My Dad began taking me to Jarry in their inaugural season and I've followed them to Washington also. I was fortunate enough to be on hand in Washington (man I love that city) for the first game at Nationals Park and I managed to scrounge a week next month to see some spring training games.Love this team. Go Nats.

45. Tony - Feb 16, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Is that LaRoche kid's homework done?

46. Unknown - Feb 16, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Toma Ohka was one of the Nats best pitchers in 2005. Trading him after he showed up big Frank was a huge mistake. Team has a winning season and contends until the final ten games had they kept him.