Feb 16, 2013, 2:56 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Rafael Soriano participated in his first workout with the Nationals today.
VIERA, Fla. — Rafael Soriano arrived at Nationals camp this morning, four days later than the rest of the club's pitchers and catchers but relieved to be with his new teammates at last after waiting for his work visa to be approved in the Dominican Republic.
"I wanted to be here a little bit early and be with my new team," the reliever said. "So I go and try to get my visa, and I see nothing happens. So now I have to wait and see what happens."
Soriano, who has been throwing on his own at home, finally got word yesterday morning his visa was approved and immediately made plans to fly to Florida.
"The guy called me and said: 'Hey, I got your passport. You can go anytime you want,'" the 33-year-old closer said. "So I said: 'Let me get a flight and get here.'"
Signed in late-January to a two-year, $28 million contract — with $14 million of the money deferred — Soriano has been through
Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Back-to-back struggles by Fister surprise Nats
- Phillies sweep red-hot Nationals
- LIVE THREAD: Nationals, Fister face Phillies on the road
- LaRoche confident back issue won't linger
- Can Doug Fister prevent Phillies from sweeping Nationals?
- The Nationals offense gets significantly quieter after blowout wins
- Gonzalez sees progress in latest start for Nats
- Nationals Stock Watch: Cabrera looking like a smart acquisition
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies