Feb 16, 2013, 2:56 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Rafael Soriano participated in his first workout with the Nationals today.
VIERA, Fla. — Rafael Soriano arrived at Nationals camp this morning, four days later than the rest of the club's pitchers and catchers but relieved to be with his new teammates at last after waiting for his work visa to be approved in the Dominican Republic.
"I wanted to be here a little bit early and be with my new team," the reliever said. "So I go and try to get my visa, and I see nothing happens. So now I have to wait and see what happens."
Soriano, who has been throwing on his own at home, finally got word yesterday morning his visa was approved and immediately made plans to fly to Florida.
"The guy called me and said: 'Hey, I got your passport. You can go anytime you want,'" the 33-year-old closer said. "So I said: 'Let me get a flight and get here.'"
Signed in late-January to a two-year, $28 million contract — with $14 million of the money deferred — Soriano has been through
Read more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Clippard: 'I hope we all stay together for at least one more shot'
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo explains trading Detwiler; talks prospects
- Nats announce date pitchers and catchers will report to Viera
- Nationals react to Detwiler and LaRoche leaving this offseason
- Ian Desmond goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at Nats Fest
- Zuckerman on the Nats and Bryce Harper's contract settlement
- Storen appreciates Nats' vote of confidence
- Markakis to have neck surgery 2 weeks after signing with Braves
- Stephen Strasburg goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at Nats Fest
- Nats, Harper settle on 2-year deal, avoid hearing