Feb 16, 2013, 8:27 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images file photo
Jayson Werth made his first appearance at Space Coast Stadium today.
VIERA, Fla. — Jayson Werth has played on a World Series winner. He’s played against World Series winners. He’s a true student of the game and knows the history of great teams as well as any current major leaguer.
And, it appears, he’ll stack the 2013 Nationals up against any of them.
“Has there ever been a team this complete on paper?” the veteran right fielder said today in his first appearance of the spring at Space Coast Stadium. “I’m not really a guy who looks at stuff like that. But when you look around the room, what we’ve got and where we’re at and who we’ve got, you’ve got to feel pretty good about it.”
Werth made sure to issue an all-important caveat: The Nationals haven’t played a game yet, and they still must prove themselves on the field.
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Mets could lose Murphy for rest of season
- Nats blast King Felix, open series vs. Mariners with win
- Zimmermann, Nats get huge test with King Felix out in Seattle
- Nats extend contract with Single-A Hagerstown
- The Baseball Show: Williams for Manager of the Year?
- MLB Power Rankings: L.A. Angels flying high
- Mariners will have familiar face as manager vs. Nats this weekend
- Nats extend deal with Auburn Doubledays of NYP League
- Baseball in the District - MLB radio's Casey Stern & Todd Dybas
- Reason to worry about Nats after 3-game sweep?