Feb 16, 2013, 8:27 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images file photo
Jayson Werth made his first appearance at Space Coast Stadium today.
VIERA, Fla. — Jayson Werth has played on a World Series winner. He’s played against World Series winners. He’s a true student of the game and knows the history of great teams as well as any current major leaguer.
And, it appears, he’ll stack the 2013 Nationals up against any of them.
“Has there ever been a team this complete on paper?” the veteran right fielder said today in his first appearance of the spring at Space Coast Stadium. “I’m not really a guy who looks at stuff like that. But when you look around the room, what we’ve got and where we’re at and who we’ve got, you’ve got to feel pretty good about it.”
Werth made sure to issue an all-important caveat: The Nationals haven’t played a game yet, and they still must prove themselves on the field.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
OCT. 7: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs
- MLB postseason begins tonight: Wild Card playoff preview
- 5 questions facing the Nationals in the postseason
- Nats finding ways to stay sharp (VIDEO)
- Games 1 and 2 at Nationals Park will be matinees
- Revisiting Opening Day predictions on the Nats
- Zimmermann named NL Player of the Week for 2nd time this year
- Nats' plan to stay fresh before Game 1 of the NLDS
- Denard Span sets Nats hits record to add to special day