Feb 16, 2013, 8:27 PM EST
USA Today Sports Images file photo
Jayson Werth made his first appearance at Space Coast Stadium today.
VIERA, Fla. — Jayson Werth has played on a World Series winner. He’s played against World Series winners. He’s a true student of the game and knows the history of great teams as well as any current major leaguer.
And, it appears, he’ll stack the 2013 Nationals up against any of them.
“Has there ever been a team this complete on paper?” the veteran right fielder said today in his first appearance of the spring at Space Coast Stadium. “I’m not really a guy who looks at stuff like that. But when you look around the room, what we’ve got and where we’re at and who we’ve got, you’ve got to feel pretty good about it.”
Werth made sure to issue an all-important caveat: The Nationals haven’t played a game yet, and they still must prove themselves on the field.
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day