Feb 17, 2013, 8:18 PM EST
USA Today Sports Images
Gio Gonzalez participates in a bunting drill at Nationals camp.
VIERA, Fla. — Though Gio Gonzalez will have to leave Nationals camp during the World Baseball Classic, he won’t miss as much time as other players participating in next month’s international tournament.
Gonzalez will skip the first round of the WBC, giving him an opportunity to make an extra Grapefruit League start with the Nationals before finally joining Team USA in time to make a second-round start March 12 in Miami, manager Davey Johnson said.
“He’s starting the second round in Miami,” Johnson said. “I got that from [USA pitching coach] Greg Maddux. There’s no sense in him going to join the club when everybody else does, so he could stay here and get his work in and then drive down to Miami after he throws his last game here.”
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres