Feb 18, 2013, 6:52 PM EST
Stephen Strasburg throws in the bullpen last week at Nationals camp.
VIERA, Fla. — Stephen Strasburg won’t have to wait long to put last year’s shutdown controversy behind him and turn attention to his performance this season.
Manager Davey Johnson said today his ace right-hander will start the Nationals’ Grapefruit League opener, Saturday against the Mets in Port St. Lucie.
The exhibition opening day assignment isn’t necessarily an honor being bestowed upon Strasburg as the Nationals’ best start as much as it helps line him up to start the only Opening Day game that truly matters: April 1 against the Marlins at Nationals Park.
Still, Strasburg’s first appearance against an opposing team since his abrupt shutdown last September will draw plenty of attention
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Stephen Strasburg's contract year
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- Report: All-Star catcher Lucroy has Nats on no-trade list
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Max Scherzer more important in Year 2
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: An important year for Wilson Ramos
- NL East: Phillies add new alternate uniform for 2016 (PHOTOS)
- NL East: Marlins interested in adding another starting pitcher