Feb 18, 2013, 6:52 PM EDT
Stephen Strasburg throws in the bullpen last week at Nationals camp.
VIERA, Fla. — Stephen Strasburg won’t have to wait long to put last year’s shutdown controversy behind him and turn attention to his performance this season.
Manager Davey Johnson said today his ace right-hander will start the Nationals’ Grapefruit League opener, Saturday against the Mets in Port St. Lucie.
The exhibition opening day assignment isn’t necessarily an honor being bestowed upon Strasburg as the Nationals’ best start as much as it helps line him up to start the only Opening Day game that truly matters: April 1 against the Marlins at Nationals Park.
Still, Strasburg’s first appearance against an opposing team since his abrupt shutdown last September will draw plenty of attention
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Baseball in the District - Which Nats should be All-Stars?
- Desmond showing signs of a breakout at last
- The Baseball Show: An amazing week of pitching
- On long, up-and-down day, Strasburg stands tall
- Roark struggles as Nats lose second game of doubleheader
- Nats aim for sweep as Roark starts second game in Philly
- Strasburg steps up as Nats take 1st game of doubleheader in Philly
- Nats and Phillies wrap up series with doubleheader
- Nats miffed at Phillies over postponed game
- Harper, Escobar, Span all out of Nats lineup again