Feb 18, 2013, 6:52 PM EST
Stephen Strasburg throws in the bullpen last week at Nationals camp.
VIERA, Fla. — Stephen Strasburg won’t have to wait long to put last year’s shutdown controversy behind him and turn attention to his performance this season.
Manager Davey Johnson said today his ace right-hander will start the Nationals’ Grapefruit League opener, Saturday against the Mets in Port St. Lucie.
The exhibition opening day assignment isn’t necessarily an honor being bestowed upon Strasburg as the Nationals’ best start as much as it helps line him up to start the only Opening Day game that truly matters: April 1 against the Marlins at Nationals Park.
Still, Strasburg’s first appearance against an opposing team since his abrupt shutdown last September will draw plenty of attention
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Giolito & Turner, Nats' farm system ranked highly by Baseball America
- Nats 2016 promo schedule includes figurine of Werth and his dog
- NL East: Mets closer permanently banned by MLB for PEDs
- Bryce Harper: 'I'm a big fan of what Kirk Cousins did this year'
- NL East: Mets' ace says he's open to contract extension
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Why does free agent Ian Desmond still remain unsigned?
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Is Gott ready for a late-innings role?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen