Feb 18, 2013, 6:52 PM EDT
Stephen Strasburg throws in the bullpen last week at Nationals camp.
VIERA, Fla. — Stephen Strasburg won’t have to wait long to put last year’s shutdown controversy behind him and turn attention to his performance this season.
Manager Davey Johnson said today his ace right-hander will start the Nationals’ Grapefruit League opener, Saturday against the Mets in Port St. Lucie.
The exhibition opening day assignment isn’t necessarily an honor being bestowed upon Strasburg as the Nationals’ best start as much as it helps line him up to start the only Opening Day game that truly matters: April 1 against the Marlins at Nationals Park.
Still, Strasburg’s first appearance against an opposing team since his abrupt shutdown last September will draw plenty of attention
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Mets beat Nats 2-1 in epic game capped by Flores walk-off
- Nats' reliever to get second opinion on ailing shoulder
- Catching up with now-Mets pitcher Tyler Clippard
- Mets get Cespedes for big series vs. Nats
- Nats, Mets begin weekend series with first place on the line
- MLB Power Rankings: Hamels, Price, Tulo all get traded
- A formula that could work wonders for Nats
- Nats ride strong pitching to shutout win
- Scherzer on mound as Nats try to take series
- Papelbon aiming for saves record, hopes to co-exist with Storen