Feb 19, 2013, 3:14 PM EST
Associated Press file photo
Anthony Rendon played in only 43 games last season due to injury.
VIERA, Fla. — Anthony Rendon hears the whispers. He knows how people might be looking at his baseball career from afar. That, even at 22, he's already been tagged with one of the least-desirable designations in sports:
The Nationals' top-rated prospect hasn't made it through a full year without some sort of injury since high school. There was an ankle injury in 2009 during the final game of his rookie season at Rice University. Then another ankle injury in 2010 while playing in an international competition. Then a nagging shoulder injury in 2011 that made his draft stock plummet and allowed him to fall to Washington at No. 6.
Then, in his first professional season, a freak fractured ankle in his first week with Class A Potomac, sidelining him four months.
Some might bristle when asked about that injury-prone label being thrust upon them. Rendon laughs it off.
"Everybody has their own opinion, so I can't knock them," he said. "I'm pretty sure if I were in their shoes, I'd probably feel the sameRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nats announce McLouth signing, DFA Corey Brown
- MLB's Rangers draft NFL quarterback Russell Wilson
- PHOTO: Jerry Blevins very excited to be a National
- Nationals lose catcher Nieto in Rule 5 draft
- Michael Morse signs with San Francisco Giants
- MLB rules committee votes to outlaw home plate collisions
- 3 deals in 10 days leave Nats in good shape
- Rizzo: Blevins was Nationals' best option
- Former Nats OF Jerry Hairston, Jr. retires from MLB
- Nats get lefty Blevins from A's for prospect