Feb 19, 2013, 7:23 PM EDT
Ryan Zimmerman has ramped up his throwing program in recent days.
VIERA, Fla. — His surgically repaired shoulder gaining strength each day, Ryan Zimmerman has ramped up his throwing program.
Zimmerman played catch this morning from 75 feet and expects to advance to 90 feet tomorrow, gradually working his way back to the point he’ll be able to participate fully in exhibition games.
Game action remains a ways off. Manager Davey Johnson said he doesn’t expect Zimmerman to play third base during the first two weeks of the Grapefruit League schedule. That would still give the veteran ample time to work his way up to 100 percent for Opening Day.
“He knows what he needs to do,” Johnson said. “And I think if you talk to him, he’ll say he’s right on track to get to where he wants to be Opening Day. But what I saw today, it was really good. I liked everything I saw.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado