Feb 19, 2013, 7:23 PM EST
Ryan Zimmerman has ramped up his throwing program in recent days.
VIERA, Fla. — His surgically repaired shoulder gaining strength each day, Ryan Zimmerman has ramped up his throwing program.
Zimmerman played catch this morning from 75 feet and expects to advance to 90 feet tomorrow, gradually working his way back to the point he’ll be able to participate fully in exhibition games.
Game action remains a ways off. Manager Davey Johnson said he doesn’t expect Zimmerman to play third base during the first two weeks of the Grapefruit League schedule. That would still give the veteran ample time to work his way up to 100 percent for Opening Day.
“He knows what he needs to do,” Johnson said. “And I think if you talk to him, he’ll say he’s right on track to get to where he wants to be Opening Day. But what I saw today, it was really good. I liked everything I saw.”
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Jordan Zimmermann introduced by Detroit Tigers
- Report: Marlins could hire Barry Bonds to coaching staff
- Zimmermann agreed to a surprising contract with Detroit
- Report: Nats, Mets and Braves all chasing two-time All-Star
- Appreciating Jordan Zimmermann’s Nationals career
- PHOTOS: Zimmermann’s Nats career through the years
- Did Zimmermann sign with Tigers at a discount?
- Jordan Zimmermann signs free agent deal with Tigers
- Report: Zimmermann in serious talks with AL team
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Victor Robles