Feb 19, 2013, 7:23 PM EST
Ryan Zimmerman has ramped up his throwing program in recent days.
VIERA, Fla. — His surgically repaired shoulder gaining strength each day, Ryan Zimmerman has ramped up his throwing program.
Zimmerman played catch this morning from 75 feet and expects to advance to 90 feet tomorrow, gradually working his way back to the point he’ll be able to participate fully in exhibition games.
Game action remains a ways off. Manager Davey Johnson said he doesn’t expect Zimmerman to play third base during the first two weeks of the Grapefruit League schedule. That would still give the veteran ample time to work his way up to 100 percent for Opening Day.
“He knows what he needs to do,” Johnson said. “And I think if you talk to him, he’ll say he’s right on track to get to where he wants to be Opening Day. But what I saw today, it was really good. I liked everything I saw.”
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- How does Moore fit into Nationals' plans?
- With Rays' asking Price, no wonder Nats looked elsewhere
- Revisiting all those Nationals and Athletics trades
- Ex-Nats C Brian Schneider takes Single-A manager job
- 2B Brian Roberts, Yankees agree to contract
- Lefties priced themselves out of Nats' market
- Former Nats prospect Marrero lands with Orioles
- Report: Jimmy Rollins latest Phillies player in trade rumors
- Braves add Gavin Floyd on one-year deal
- Nats looking for 2014 'entertainment crew'