Feb 20, 2013, 6:53 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Gio Gonzalez throws a pitch during today’s live batting practice drill.
VIERA, Fla. — In the wake of a new report that says he never received any banned substances from the Miami clinic under investigation by Major League Baseball for distributing performance enhancing drugs, Nationals left-hander Gio Gonzalez expressed confidence today he’ll be cleared of all wrongdoing.
ESPN’s “Outside the Lines” reported Tuesday night that while Gonzalez did receive $1,000 worth of substances from embattled Biogenesis chief Anthony Bosch, none were considered PEDs. The pitcher, who has denied ever taking any PEDs or even knowing Bosch since an initial Miami New Times report connected him with the clinic, said today he’s still waiting to hear official word from MLB but seemed pleased with the direction the issue is headed.
“I’m going to be honest with you, I haven’t heard anything yet officially from MLB,” Gonzalez said this afternoon at Space Coast Stadium following the Nationals’ workout. “I do plan on sitting down and cooperating with them. I want to get this all done before the season starts. This is all new to me, guys. I do plan on getting ready, looking forward to spring training, and I feel confident this is going to come out good.”
The Nationals again did not let Gonzalez appear on camera and would not allow follow-up questions on the Biogenesis story,
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Baseball in the District - Nats prospect Taylor Hill
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win
- Gonzalez, Nats win pitchers duel on another walk-off
- Nats' Zimmerman takes significant step in recovery
- Nationals aim for team record 10th straight win vs. D-Backs
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"
- Are Nationals finally playing to full potential? (VIDEO)
- Mo'ne Davis and company have one more chance
- Young guns bat, slide Nationals to ninth-straight win