Feb 20, 2013, 6:53 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Gio Gonzalez throws a pitch during today’s live batting practice drill.
VIERA, Fla. — In the wake of a new report that says he never received any banned substances from the Miami clinic under investigation by Major League Baseball for distributing performance enhancing drugs, Nationals left-hander Gio Gonzalez expressed confidence today he’ll be cleared of all wrongdoing.
ESPN’s “Outside the Lines” reported Tuesday night that while Gonzalez did receive $1,000 worth of substances from embattled Biogenesis chief Anthony Bosch, none were considered PEDs. The pitcher, who has denied ever taking any PEDs or even knowing Bosch since an initial Miami New Times report connected him with the clinic, said today he’s still waiting to hear official word from MLB but seemed pleased with the direction the issue is headed.
“I’m going to be honest with you, I haven’t heard anything yet officially from MLB,” Gonzalez said this afternoon at Space Coast Stadium following the Nationals’ workout. “I do plan on sitting down and cooperating with them. I want to get this all done before the season starts. This is all new to me, guys. I do plan on getting ready, looking forward to spring training, and I feel confident this is going to come out good.”
The Nationals again did not let Gonzalez appear on camera and would not allow follow-up questions on the Biogenesis story,
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Lucas Giolito
- A reason for fans of each MLB team to be thankful
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Trea Turner
- Bud Black joins Angels after missing out on Nats' manager job
- Baseball in the District – How will Nats rebuild their bullpen?
- Nats bring Henley back as third base coach
- Nats roster review: Matt Thornton
- Report: Nats interested in trading Papelbon and Storen
- Is O'Day worth the price tag to the Nationals?
- Nationals roster review: Aaron Barrett